Why Jira displays "Failed to load" message for people that do not have access to a remote jira instance?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

I configured two Jira instances using applications links and this works just fine with one remark:

People that do not have an account on the other instance to see the "Failed to load" message near the linked bug.

I do understand and agree that they should not be able to see more information about the remote bug, BUT "Failed to load" seems like a server configuration problem and not an "Access denied" message.

How can we replace the message with something more meaningfull? like:

• Information unavailable
  • Permission denied
  • Access denied

I will file a bug report if people do agree with me.

Note: I didn't want to use the OAuth method because this seems to be too slow, and requires peopel to click on the Authenticate link each time (or quite often) in order to access the remote bug information. While using trusted applications links this is not needed.

2 answers

1 vote
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2012

Add a low severity bug on https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA .

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2012
0 votes
Peter Friberg June 2, 2013

Agree! I'm about to replace my custom remote linking system with "remote issue links", and I don't want to display "Failed to load" to our customers. A "forbidden" or "no access" icon would be better.
Is there a bug or improvement request on this?

Suggest an answer