Why JIRA? Not me i'm convert

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012

Why shoud you go JIRA? but been asked this question a 100 times

I know the offical word

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2012/05/top-reasons-to-go-jira/

but what does the community think ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

4 answers

1 vote
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2012

Because you've got issues :)

I'd name #1 reason a thriving ecosystem with hundreds of plugin developers and good plugins, including integrations with other platforms, and experts who'd be able to offer professional services and customize your JIRA the way you need.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2012

Bad point: Jira is becoming notorious for refusing to implement clustering, even if there are solutions to it (SOLR).Hopefully it will happen before I die.

Good points: a live and dynamic community, affordable, tons of plugins, open and well documented. Easy to integrate with anything (very important to us)

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2012

I am probably not impartial, but let me throw my opinion.

In my experience with other companies I have used the following issue trackers (appart from JIRA):

• DevTrack: Devtrack is stable and has all basic functionality.From what I remember is faster than JIRA with the searches. The down parts are price, runs only on Windows servers and the user interface could look better. I have to say that my experience as an end user (I wasn't the administrator) was positive.
  • Bugzilla: OpenSource alternative, which give you the chance to customize it your way. It has all basic functionality and it is free. The guys did a great job improving the user interface but it is still far from JIRA.
  • JIRA: It is by far the better looking one. It can be highly customized and (even if it is not open source) you get access to the source code with a comercial license. But the biggest adventages (in my opinion) are a ton of plugins available and easy to install, full integration with other Atlassian products and it is damn cheap in comparison with other comercial alternatives and support is outstanding.

So my conclusion is that JIRA is the best product and it has a very reasonable pricing, specailly for small teams. If price is an issue, I would go for Bugzuilla then.

I also tried some other similar products, but their functionality was far from those three I mentioned.

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2012

Thanks Alex,

I don’t think cost is the issue, The issue is its not scalable, For a diverse and distributed organisation a massive one instance is a nightmare as well as maintaining and managing multiple instance is another set of headache.

This question has been asked a zillion times, why is that JIRA still not support clustering and load balancing? A single point of failure for an enterprise is a risk.

Reporting is an after thought but you know management. What is its reporting capability out of the box?

A tool, which was surprisingly affordable, is fast becoming a spaghetti nightmare and added hidden cost and support cost.

I love JIRA but for an enterprise, these are unfortunately reasons why not to don’t you think?

I'm just rambling here, appreciate your input and honesty.

thanks

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2012

More or less the same I guess! But this answer might be more appropriate!

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/107683/what-are-the-biggest-advantages-ofo-jira?page=1#107690

parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2012

Note to myself .. ask Nic next time ..

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2012

or search for his answers ;)

Suggest an answer