Why Bulk Change does not update the transition status?

Dan July 9, 2013

I'm using bulk change to transition issues from "In Progress" to "On Hold" however when I select Confirm JIRA takes me back to the Issue Navigator and the status is not changed. There are no messages or indicators telling me why the issues were not updated. What I can do is edit one of the issues manually and change the status to "On Hold". Also, I was able to use bulk change on the same issue to successfully change the assignee field.

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan July 11, 2013

Below is the response I received from the developer. I applied the suggested changes in our development environment and the bulk change transition worked perfectly. Thank you to everyone that provided feedback.

Hi Dan,

Sorry, but the validator must be removed to trigger that transition, since a comment is being required by the validator.

If that is a frequent operation, you might insert in your workflow a parallel transition (same source and target) without the validator. You could create a special role (Bulk Changer) and allow only users with that role to see and trigger this new transition.

Regards

0 votes
Jonathan D Payne Sr February 10, 2016

Hello All,

1.  The process you are trying to complete may not be possible based on the permissions setup.
  2. If you do have the correct permissions, you should be able to use...Tool>Bulk Change>Transtion to complete this update.
0 votes
Dan July 9, 2013

Thanks for the help on this issue. Once I looked at the log it was obvious what was causing the problem. As you stated the next step is to contact the plugin developer to determine if this is a known issue.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

Maybe that's the source of your problem. YOu might want to check with the developer. Maybe it's a known issue...

0 votes
Dan July 9, 2013

I checked the atlassian-jira.log file and found one of the required workflow validators (Comment) was not being populated. The interesting thing is the comment on the the bulk change screen is being updated but not recognized by the workflow validator. The validator is part of the JIRA Workflow Toolbox plugin.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2013

Anything in the logs?

0 votes
Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2013

Hi Dan,

is there any transition screen with mandatory fields ?

Dan July 9, 2013

Yes, and during the bulk change the required information was entered.

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

@Dan,

I guess it wont be much help in contacting the developer as this is a basic scenario , the developer must have known.

Again , the jira doesnt provide control over its comment field.(As we cant add or remove comment field).

• But I have a workaround:

1. create a text custom-field and attach it in the transition screen making itas mandatory.

2. then with your developed post-function(Yes , you need to write it) , you can update the issue comment.

• else , through script runner plugin , it might work (not sure)

Suggest an answer