Who is shown in the list of reporters?

Flavius Nopcea July 28, 2016

Hi,

when editing an issue and the Reporter field appears I want to know what users are shown in that list.

Is there a filter on users or all users from the system?

Is there a way I can restrict that list?

thanks

2 answers

2 votes
Maria Bonello October 3, 2019

This issue is also with Service Desk customers where they can be set as reporter even in non service desk projects. Is there a way to restrict this ?

Paul Poteat February 24, 2021

I can't find a way to stop this.

As it relates to the reporter field, Project A agent can see customers from Project B, there is zero use case for this (if you're moving a ticket from one Project to another where an existing reporter doesn't exist, just let it fail condition and not move).

Interestingly, Request participant behaves as expected (only showing customers from that project).

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2016

Anyone who has the permission to create issues in that project.

Hi,

hmm... ok... but If I have the permission to modify the reporter I can set as reporter users without the Create Permission. Is this correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2016

No, it's valid reporters.

hmm... I am running JIRA 7.1.9... I have defined a single user with Create Permission. When I create a ticket I can setup as Reporter other users who DO NOT HAVE the Create Issue Permission.

Is this a bug or normal behavior?

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2016

mmm, not sure, it's been a while since I looked at this and it may well have changed.  I wouldn't be surprised if the implementation is to allow any active user to be set, as there are cases where it's a valid thing to do.

is this somewhere stated in the documentation? Can you please confirm that this is actually the case?

a valid case would be: I move an issue from project A to project B and the reporter of the issue does not have the Create Issue permission in project B.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2016

JIRA does allow you to move an issue from a project and keep the reporter, who is not a valid reporter in the new project. Same thing with assignee. More info at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-34148 about why this allowed

so the answer to my question as to whom is shown in the reporter field is: any user from the user base!

is this correct?

Goran Dermeta April 11, 2018

I know its been a while, but it really looks like complete active user base is shown in reporter field.

Is really noone bothered with that? We have big teams and in some cases we don't want to have external users shown to all. Is there a way to limit/filter the reporter field?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2018

It's the same answer as given 2 years ago - check the permissions.

werner kolze December 12, 2018

We have the same issue and concern - we dont want to have the complete user base, including external users, shown to all users.  We looked at the Global Permissions and it is not really helping in restricting access - unless we misinterpret the permissions.

The way we see it, is, that the global permission should be able to let us disable groups from seeing ALL groups and users in the system. Or to allow us to disable external users to be shown - 

We can set the external users to be inactive, but that is not really not ideal.

Question remains - Is there a way to limit/filter the reporter field - has anyone found a solution to this? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2018

Who has "create issue" permission in the project?

werner kolze December 13, 2018

I checked the "create issue" permission and removed every role apart from the administrators and still, the external users are showing in the select list for the "reporter"

Like Johannes likes this
Johannes December 5, 2019

I have the same issue:

A service desk team member of project A can select a member of project B even though the member of project B has no create issue permission for project A (double checked via permission helper).

This is a huge issue for us. Is there no way to restrict this?

Like Paul Poteat likes this

Suggest an answer