Who is actively connected to Jira?

Mark Scott May 20, 2013

Is there a way I can see who is actively connected to the Jira application? I need to schedule a server outage and would like to see who I would be impacting.

4 answers

1 vote
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2013

Hi Mark,

You can tap the Tomcat Valve and get access logging directly from the Application Server but the feedback isn't much more informative than that provided by the standard HTTP logging in JIRA, although for completeness sake the way to implement both solutions is covered in this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/User+access+logging

All the best,
John

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2013

No. It's a web-based service, so "actively connected" isn't really a useful concept.

If someone has a Jira page open in their browser, then you might think that counts as "active". But Jira doesn't care because it's given their browser some information and that's all it needs to do until the next time they make a request. Which might be in the next millisecond, or an hour later.

The best you could do is log the access and read off the last handful of lines to see who last did something, but that's still not going to tell you that Dave has a page open, wandered off for a coffee, comes back 30 minutes later and clicks "commit"

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2013
For a quick info you could also check the user sessions in your JIRA admin. As Nic mentioned you won't be able to tell if the session really is "active" though.
Mark Scott May 20, 2013

Thanks Nic;

Is there a log in Tomcat which shows who accessed the server recently or who authenticated in Jira?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2013

You can look at the "last login" in the list of users as well.

I'm not aware of a Tomcat log particularly, I've always run Jira behind Apache which is usually configured to log most or all hits. (Which does the job of "who's active" quite well for me)

You can also enable access logging in the logging and profiling screens in Jira, but I've not really tried to use that for this sort of thing, so I don't know how suitable it might be

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2013

There are two approaches I'd use here.....

First is to enable JMX on your Jira server and then get hodl Visual VM. It enables you to get a visual view of all the threads running in Jira. If any of the threads called httPrequest and showing as GREEN, then someone is using Jira. If they all show as yellow, it's quiet.

JMX: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Live+Monitoring+Using+the+JMX+Interface (it's confluence but the details are the same)

Visual VM: visualvm.java.net

The second approach is to do a SQL query to see the last login times, should give you an idea of who to contact.

Here's one we use for MS-SQL, the tricky bit is formatting the millisecond timestamp to something readable, it will be different for any other database flavour,

select

DATEADD(MILLISECOND,

cast(cwd_user_attributes.attribute_value as bigint) % 1000,

DATEADD(SECOND, cast(cwd_user_attributes.attribute_value as bigint) / 1000, '19700101')) as lastLogin

cwd_user_attributes.attribute_value, cwd_user.user_name, cwd_user.display_name

from "JiraDB"."jira"."cwd_user_attributes", "JiraDB"."jira"."cwd_user"

where

cwd_user_attributes.attribute_name='login.lastLoginMillis'

and cwd_user.id=cwd_user_attributes.user_id

order by cwd_user_attributes.attribute_value desc

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWDKB/List+the+Last+Login+Date+for+all+Users+in+Crowd

And then, put the announcement banner up to warn people, make it big & RED just before the outage so they can't ignore it.

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2013

If deployed in tomcat, you can use the "manager" webapp, so you can search all active sessions,

Additionally you can expire sessions that are inactive for more than X minutes, or inspect it's session attributes (like username)

Suggest an answer