Who has created a Jira project and when?

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

Is there any possibility to check, who has been the creator of a Jira project and when it has been created?

There are similar questions like this one: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/230683 and the answer was negative, but are there any intentions to change it, e.g with an audit log file or something like that?

3 answers

1 vote
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2014

Hi Jose - 

JIRA emits an event on project creation (com.atlassian.jira.event.ProjectCreatedEvent). You can capture this event, find out who performed it and send the event somewhere to be stored. 

You could store that event internally within JIRA. or if you wanted ongoing trend analytics, the events can be sent to an external analytics system such as Google Analytics, keen.io or Mixpanel. The data could then be displayed locally within the JIRA project (or a report could be built).

All possible. If want some help to make this happen, email info@appfusions.com and we'd be happy to make it so.

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2014

Thanks Ellen. Good to know about the possibility. I am checking it.

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2014

I know this won't help you now, but going forward I suggest you track it like a change control. I treat adding a project, new custom field, importing data, changing project lead, updating select list values, and all other modifications to JIRA as system changes. I use a JIRA project to request these type of requests. Creating issues is restricted to the project leads and one alternate per project. If a change will impact more than one project it is reviewed by all the project leads to see if it will cause a problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2014

That's exactly what I do

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

Hi Joseph, and thanks for the suggestion. I personally follow that kind of working, but not everyone does it an there are several other persons with Jira admin responsibilty. We track a lot, but some information should automatically be found in the system. Nevertheless, your suggestion is helpful.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2014

Only if you have enabled the audit logging in "admin -> audit"

You could try ploughing through access logs if you are gathering them too, but they don't necessarily capture everything you need (the fact someone visited the project create page, but not always who did it)

Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

So unfortunately no improvements here. It would be great Jira would add the information to the project itself, visible in the adminstration section. That works also regarding workflows.

Like Anuradha Yadav likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2014

Enable the audit logging, then you'll be capturing it. Last editor of a workflow is already on the workflows, but not previous edits (although I think all of them are logged in the audit function) Whether this data is then available outside the audit log is probably a new feature request.

Suggest an answer