Who can change a Project Key, and what are the effects on issues in the project?

Abdul Kader Broachwala December 20, 2019

I couldn't find an answer with a document available on the Atlassian website. Can anyone please help?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2019

Hello @Abdul Kader Broachwala 

Welcome to the community. 

Here a confluence page to know everything about changing a project key :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/editing-a-project-key-938847080.html

Hope this helps

Hello @Mohamed Benziane 

Thank you for your prompt response. I appreciate your help!

I did read the article thrice earlier and I couldn't find that answer. So thought of posting it in the community. Can you please help?

Regards,
Abdul

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2019

Hi,

Only jira admin can change the project key. The issue will always belong to the project. There is no change on the issue. But you will need to update your agile board filter.

Like # people like this

Thank you for your answer. Does project admin have the same rights to do so?

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2019

No, the project admin can only edit the project name, description, avatar, project category, avatar and URL.

I feel both can edit the project key, after seeing your response I did some RND and found this and that's why I asked the question. Please see the link and let me know If it makes sense to you?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/editing-a-project-s-details-938021482.html

Like Aniket Borhade likes this
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 20, 2019

The link on your reply its about jira cloud. As you tag say your seems to be on jira server.

Yes, I did realize that. Thank you for help and all the information. 

Huili Meng September 3, 2020

@Mohamed Benziane 

I am project admin,why I can't change Project category?

My jira serversion is v8,4

jiraVersion.png

微信图片_20200904144100.png

Julie Spokus March 17, 2023

Here is a great resource on the differences between the admin roles in JIRA: A comparison of the different administration levels in Jira 

Suggest an answer