While importing issues from a csv file, how to map old status to Jira issue status?

Chris Pei March 27, 2015

Hi,

We are running JIRA 6.3. I am importing the issues from our old issue tracker cvstrac via a csv file, somehow during field mapping, issue status does not show up from the JIRA side to be mapped to. Thus all the imported issues end up in the "New" status. Did I miss anything here?

Could you please let me know what is the proper way to map issue status?  Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

5 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2015

Ahh, Chris, I think you're using the 'Import Issues from CSV' feature rather than the 'External System Import'.  You want to go to Admin -> System -> External System Import -> Import from CSV and use that tool.  The tool I think you're using is available to anyone who can do bulk updates (available from the Issues dropdown) and has limited capabilities.  The admin tool will be able to update all fields.

Pam Weber March 21, 2018

Thanks for the explanation, Mikey.  Indeed, I did confirm that I am able to map Status and Resolution when I use the External System Import as an administrator but I can't map those fields when I use Issues ->Import Issues from CSV.  This is disappointing as I wanted a way to allow my testers to import test results on their own.  

Like Firas Amer likes this
Yoann Fauche August 15, 2018

Seriously guys As much as i like what you did with Jira and Confluence some of the function or way to get there and completely illogical...

Like # people like this
Yevgen Tsvetukhin February 9, 2021

+1 same issue with us. Found on google this article and it helped, but I was not able to find this on my own

3 votes
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2015

Status should be there as an option. I can't think of why it would be missing.

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2015

Can only be mapped to existing workflow statuses in JIRA. If not specified in your CSV file, imported issues will be given the default (i.e. first) Status as specified in your JIRA system.

Source: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Importing+Data+from+CSV

Chris Pei March 31, 2015

Thanks for your answer! I did not address the problem properly, am attaching a screen shot below.

0 votes
Manish Kumar September 29, 2015

I Am facing the same issue in JIRA v6.4.7 while Importing CSV file. Status Mapping is only done if the status is "In Progress".

Mikey please help..

Bryan Pace September 24, 2017

Same issue here with Jira Cloud.  Status and Issue Type field not available in list of Jira fields to map into. Mikey Schott above seemed to indicate this required using External System Import, but also indicated Status field should be available in the normal bulk import tool.  this is also indicated in Atlassian support docs, which reference importing to Status field via the bulk import tool. Please advise.  thanks! 

MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2017

Hi, @Bryan Pace. I'm not sure if status can be mapped using the standard user-facing bulk CSV import tool, and the current documentation on this for Cloud doesn't mention mapping of statuses: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-765593817.html . This is likely to prevent users from overstepping permissions and workflow restrictions in the target project.

What is your goal for the import? Do you have access to the admin CSV importer?

Coley Anderson March 13, 2018

This is old, but @MikeyS your original answer solved my problem. I was using the CSV importer, and I was not seeing the Status field. I went to the External Importer as you suggested, and I was able to map the status. Thank you :)

0 votes
Chris Pei March 31, 2015

Here is the screen shot I was referring to. On the right side - JIRA field selection, there is no "status" field to be mapped to.

import_csv.png

MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2015

Hmm. Curious. I can affirm that I've definitely mapped statuses using the CSV importer before. Are you mapping to a new project or into an existing project? I'm wondering if you need to map into an existing project for it to have a workflow to reference for statuses.

Chris Pei March 31, 2015

To an existing project with a workflow. And yes, back then with earlier version of Jira, I was able to import and map status, not sure what has changed.

Suggest an answer