Which workflows?

Shawn Odegaard April 18, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions (JMWE) removal from JIRA Cloud

I am sure I have used these a lot and this would take many hours to correct if it isn't done automatically.

How can I tell which workflows in my system will be affected?

Also, is this going to be one of those nickle and dime paid versions like the Timesheets debacle?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2016

The workflows store the usage of the add-ons as pointers to the functions in use.  They will only fail when the users trigger the transition that tries to use them.

However, as stated in the doc, the ones that are moving into JIRA will migrated automatically, and for the ones that aren't, you can install the new JMWE add-on and they will be migrated too.

If you don't want to use the new JMWE though, it's a bit of a pig to find them without ploughing through every workflow by hand.  I cheat a bit - download a backup copy of the whole system, and expand it to get the raw xml out of it.  You can then search it with text for the class names of the addon (it'll be something like com.innovalog.jmwe), and that will tell you all the places it's been used.

Let's just hope it is as automatic as stated in the documentation.  It would be a catastrophe if not, since almost all of the workflows I have depend on this in one way or another.

Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2016

So, installing the new version of the add-on will automatically convert all remaining functions not supported by JIRA? It does seem like users should be provided a report that identifies affected workflows. Surely, Atlassian could automate this in a fraction of the time it will take all of us to comb through our exported xml?

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2016

The page that Shawn links states that Atlassian will migrate all functions themselves, automatically, for Cloud instances.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2016

Exactly, it will be automated.

I'm a bit skeptical, but crossing my fingers.

Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

Not for the functions that will rely on the new add-on. The link appears to say twice that those must be done manually:

"You will be able to install this add-on on your instance and migrate to the replacement post-functions."

"You can install this add-on from the Find New Add-ons page in the JIRA administration section of your JIRA Cloud instance. Then you can migrate your existing workflows to use the same post-functions as provided by the new add-on."

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

The page lists the specific Conditions, Validators, and Post-Functions. Which ones are you so concerned about?

I have many active workflows, so it is kind of hard to check, but I seem to remember using this post conditions:

Increase value of field

Copy field value to parent   (or similar parent/child ones)

Tim H_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

I'm not concerned about any functions in particular. I'm concerned about having to track any of them down across dozens of workflows and hundreds of transitions. I appreciate @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] providing the shortcut, but I feel that Atlassian should be making it easier on any of us who might need to migrate to a new add-on – beginning with an automatic way to know if the new add-on will be required.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 18, 2016

Yes, the trick I use is better than nothing, but it's still less than ideal. 

With workflows, I'd like something that can dump out a list of all usage of <string> within them - that's got more uses than just looking for classes for add-on changes/updates.

Suggest an answer