Which users are counted towards JIRA license limits?

Derrick Youngblood February 22, 2017

2 answers

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2017

It's basically anyone who can log in.  But there are three JIRA applications and it gets a bit complex.

JIRA Core users count towards your Core licence

JIRA Software users count towards your Software licence.  They also get Core access, but that does not count towards your Core licence, it's part of the Software Licence.

JIRA Service Desk agents count towards your JSD licence, and get Core access included.

JIRA Service Desk Customers do NOT count towards any licence limits, they're free and unlimited.

Tej February 23, 2017

A bit complex wink

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2017

But accurate.

Like Ashley Wilson likes this
0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 22, 2017

Hi Derrick,

Any user with an active login to JIRA counts toward licence limits.

Have a look at this KB article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-get-a-list-of-active-users-counting-towards-the-jira-application-license-278695452.html

Sam

Sue Webber June 20, 2023

Hi @Sam Hall 

Even if users have never logged in ?

So user is active, with an JSM and/or software app access. But has never logged in.
Do they count ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2023

Yes, they do, if active.  (I assume by "active" you mean that they have not been deactivated in the app, which would stop them counting towards the licence count)

Also, it's a bit different for Cloud - you can have users who have never logged in based on being invited, but never taking it up.  Invited users do not count towards your limit.

Sue Webber June 20, 2023

Thank you @Nic Brough 

Yes, so the use case, is we are on server migrating to DC.

I have DLs set up for teams and they have been given access to JSM, to allow us to assign tickets to them and notify the people in the DL.

Obviously never logged in and I cannot make them inactive.

Will have to change this way of work to reduce license counts then.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2023

Technically, you can't use distribution lists for access (I assume that's what you mean by DL)

It's all done on group membership.  I don't know what user directory system you are using, and I don't know if things may have been renamed, so I'm going use obvious names for stuff here.

Jira access is controlled by groups.  In the most simple case, you'll have up to five access groups like

• Jira-system-admins
  • Jira-admins
  • Jira-workflow-management-user
  • Jira-software-user
  • Jira-service-desk-agents

If someone is in one or more of those groups, then they count towards the licence for  that application.  It does not double-count - admins will usually be in at least one of the other groups, but they'll only be counted once.  And for now (this is changing on Cloud, I'm not sure about DC), Software and Agent users do not count against JWM licences, it's included in their Software/Agent licence.

So, anyone in your user management in those "access" groups counts towards your licence, because they can log in.

But, if (as an admin), you go to the list of users, there's a "deactivate" option next to all of them, alongside their last login dates.

You can even automate that, if you have Scriptrunner, you can use https://library.adaptavist.com/entity/deactivate-inactive-users to do the whole lot in one go!

Suggest an answer