Which table holds custom field to project relationship?

Victor Cheung December 22, 2017

Hi, I'm fairly new to JIRA..

From my understanding, a custom field can be configured to any issue types and also any projects.

I found these tables which hold the information of custom fields to issue types:

• fieldconfiguration
  • fieldconfigscheme
  • fieldconfigschemeissuetype

However, in the above tables I do not see where they relate the fieldconfigscheme to the projects information... does anyone know which table holds this relationship information?  

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2017

It's not a single table.

As database access is the worst possible approach to doing anything in Jira, could you think about doing this properly?

Tell us what you are trying to give to your users, so we can help you with config/API to get there?

Victor Cheung December 28, 2017

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your reply.  I totally agree with you, I hope there's an API which I can use to get the information I need.  I'm tasked with making a custom plugin which shows the usage statistics for all custom fields in our system.  

I need to display, for example, for any given custom field, how much it has been used per project.  Aggregate usage totals and also as a percentage of the total number of issues for each project that the custom field 'qualifies' for (meaning that the field is somehow configured to).  Every custom field can potentially be applicable to it's own unique set of projects.  

In the Admin section of JIRA, under the Custom Fields, I can see a total list of custom fields in our system.  And for each field when I go into the Modify Configuration Scheme Context page, there is a "Choose Applicable Context" section which has a multi-select list of all the projects which this field can apply to.  I am seeking to find where exactly this selection information is saved to and/or can be retrieved from.  Is there an API for this?

Thanks in advance!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2017

Best way to establish usage is filters.   Without any code, you could simply use the "filter statistic" gadget to show where any one select list type field has been used (filter for "all issues", use statistic "project").

I'd repeat that in add-on code - run JQL for "field is not empty" to get numbers of usage, and then the fieldmanager class to help work out where the fields are configured.

Victor Cheung December 28, 2017

Thank you, Nic!  The 'filter statistic' gadget is very useful.

I am looking into the CustomFieldManager class and the CustomFIeld class and it looks promising!

Many thanks!

victor

Suggest an answer