Which screen is which?

Jon Gilbert January 31, 2016

In Administration > Issues > Screens, there is a list of 5 screens: 

Default, Resolve Issue, Workflow, and then, for my one project, a (Project Name) version of the Bug and Default Issue screens. 

What do these screens refer to? I searched "Screens" in the Atlassian documentation and could not find any page that explains what these are. I just want to see a picture showing what screen is what: a screenshot of the screen with its name under it.

All I want to do is add Time Tracking to my issues… not sure why that's not on by default.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2016

Think of a "screen" in JIRA as "a list of fields that will be presented to a user when they perform a specific action" (the screen definition is also a display order for the fields)

The trick to understanding them is that there are four places you (as an admin) can use a screen

NameConfigure it inWhat it does
CreateScreen SchemeAppears when a user hits "create", and has selected a project and issue type
EditScreen SchemeAppears when a user hits "edit" while looking at an issue, and also controls which fields can be edited with a quick click on the view
ViewScreen SchemeAppears when a user opens an issue.  (Note that JIRA rearranges some of your fields here - it pulls out system fields, dates, and users and places them differently)
TransitionWorkflowAppears when a user goes through a transition (e.g. start progress, resolve, close)
You can have many different screens in a workflow

The screens you've got listed are mostly default/standard screens.  The default screen is a list of all fields, used for create, view and edit for the standard project type.  The workflow screen is used in the default workflow to catch certain updates, and the resolution screen is used to ask the user for the resolution and other data when the issue is closed.  Your (project name) screens are tied to the project to allow you to vary the fields without affecting other projects using the screens.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2016

These are referring to the screen type.  When you go to resolve an issue you will see the resolve issue screen.  The workflow screen is the screen you will see when you are viewing the workflow screen.  The default screen represents all other screens.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer