Which protocol should I use to configure Tomcat to accept proxied requests

Hoang Dang November 16, 2016

In section 2 of this document: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver072/integrating-jira-applications-with-iis-828788154.html#IntegratingJIRAapplicationswithIIS-configureiis

It said 

HTTP/1.1 Connector

If you are using the HTTP/1.1 Connector, you will need to add the following attributes to the Connector port in Tomcat's server.xml:

proxyName="mycompany.com" proxyPort="80"

Then immediately underneath it said:

Enable AJP/1.3 Connector in Tomcat: To allow Tomcat to accept requests for JIRA from IIS, edit the conf/server.xmlfile and ensure that the AJP/1.3 Connector is enabled (i.e. not commented out). To enable the AJP/1.3 Connector in a JIRA remove the comment symbols around the following section in the conf/server.xml file:

<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

Which one do I use?  If I use HTTP/1.1 connector, what do I have to change in workers.properties.minimal file?

Please make this document more clear.

This is the content of workers.properties.minimal file. As you can see I do not know what I need to put in there if I use HTTP/1.1

# workers.properties.minimal -
#
# This file provides minimal jk configuration properties needed to
# connect to Tomcat.

#
# The workers that jk should create and work with.
#
worker.list=worker1

#
# Defining a worker named worker1 and of type ajp13.
# Note that the name and the type do not have to match.
#
worker.worker1.type=ajp13
worker.worker1.host=localhost
worker.worker1.port=8009

1 answer

0 votes
Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2016

So are you going to use the AJP1.3 connector as shown in the documentation?

If so, according to the way I read the documentation, you do not need to add any reference for the HTTP/1.1 connector.
In reading the Apache Tomcat documentation, workers.properties are only for use with AJP connectors.
https://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html

Hoang Dang November 17, 2016

If I only want to use HTTP/1.1, do I need workers.properties.minimal file? What do I put in there for HTTP/1.1?

Suggest an answer