Which product should I use?

Michal Szklarzewski July 1, 2013

Hi,

Is there a possibility to build a business-freelance marketplace webstite, based on Attlasian products? If so, which of them should I consider?

Possibility to add a new project, set up the project budget, invite team members are most important functionalities.

What would be better? JIRA, Confluence? Both of them, other products?

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

Hi Michal,

I believe the right tool will be Confluence as the prior goal is to have a "wiki" to keep track on budget, create spaces for projects and invite team members to put their ideas on the "wiki".
Here is some features of Confluence:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/demo

JIRA is a tool that usually developers use as their bug track tool, JIRA is the project tracker for teams planning, building, and launching products. For more information:

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/demo

And yes, you can use they together. However from your description, I believe you're looking for a tool like Confluence.

Cheers,

WZ

0 votes
Michal Szklarzewski July 2, 2013

Thanks William, that looks really nice ;) To be honest, we would like to create a web portal, very similar to this one. Do you think it's possible, based on Atlassian products?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2013

Heey Michal, thank you for the kind words :)

Actually is possible, but we would have to do tons of customizations to make an Atlassian product be like elance.com. If you're planing to create a web portal, I would suggest you to get another tool to create web portal as our products have a different proposal.

Although, if you're looking for an application that allows us to create project, plan, build products, JIRA is the best shot.
If you want to have an corporative "Wiki" that has a ton of features, integration with third party plugins and 24/7 support, you can call Confluence :)

Cheers,

WZ

0 votes
Michal Szklarzewski July 2, 2013

Hi William,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm wondering if Confluence wouldn't me too much complex for our needs. I would have two main user types (business, freelancers). Business user create projects, freelancers seek them.

Project has to be located in a category. What Confluence functionality should I use? Space seems to be ok, but what if I would like to create project subcategories also?

For example, let's assume I'm looking for someone who will create a new mobile application. As a business user I create a new project in IT & Programming category and Mobile Applicatios subcategory. In Confluence language, I'm creating the project Page in the specyfic Space, right? About project details I'd like to talk little bit later :)

Now, another user is looking for a job as a mobile developer. He should have a possibility to create his profile with name, location, skills (dictionary), rate, some description. Is it possible to create such a profile in Confluence?

Regards!

P.S. If it's possible, please take a look on this post.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2013

Hey Michal,

Actually I did a mockup based on your comment, and I believe I could cover everything:
Mokcup

We can do this exactly mockup on Confluence.

Your second question about profile, we're restricted to this fields:
test imageHowever, you can customize things Confluence, if you know how to write codes, since Confluence is under CSS/JS code.

I hope this helps. :)

Cheers,

WZ

Suggest an answer