Which is the best Linux Version to run a production JIRA instance ?

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2013

I have gone through the supported platforms document and it doesn’t talk about the OS/Kernel versions. Can anyone say with which RHEL version can we get better JIRA performance ? I would like to go for JIRA 5.2.4

Also is there any specific kernel version which JIRA doesn’t support ?

Thanks, Vishnu.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2013

hi vishnu,

i can't say wich is the best linux to be picked for a productive instance..but i think you should choose the one you're (the systems administrator) is most fimilar with.

our company uses only RHEL6 some of my customers run Centos6.

also Debian systems run stable and safe.

i'd say jira won't mind the Linux OS/Kernel as it is not depending on any specific creteria.

except 32 or 64 bit. (seperate downloads available)

in the past i've seen some trouble using a custom JRE cause i don't want to mess arround with the bundled one..now all the applications use the same java (it was a certificate related decision. 1 cert in several keychains will hurt sometime when upgrading)

my personal opinion is jira and confluence run smoothely nice on a RHEL6 but i won't say that is the only distribution to get best performance...this depends on your hosts setup i.e. cpu,ram,hdd

cheers

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2013

Faysal

Thanks for the info. I have some instances in RHEL 5.5 and 5.6.

Would like check the feasibility of using RHEL 6 with JIRA. Glad to know that you use RHEL 6. Have you ever faced any issues due to this flavor ?

Also, do you use 64 bit ? Which one you personally suggest ? RHEL 6 32 or 64 bit ?

I appreciate your help.

Regards, Vishnu

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2013

Thanks Nic.

Let me try with RHEL 6 64 bit then.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2013

As C.Faysal says, it really is "whatever you are most familiar with". In terms of performanace, stability etc, you won't see a lot of difference between distributions.

As you've got RHEL 5.5 and 5.6 already, that's a really good start, but I'd be looking at RHEL 6 as you'll probably want to upgrade sooner or later anyway. I know of several Jira (and Confluence, and Bamboo and and and) installations running on RHEL 6 very well. All but one of them are on 64 bit, simply because it's faster for the hardware it's installed on.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2013

hmm no i didn't faced any issues so far.

not on physical hosts (thats what production and failover hosts are) and not on virtual hosts (my sandboxes for playing arround with plugins and versions)

all of them are 64bit

the VMs may be configured a bit to poor...you will note some slower performance there but they really don't need to be high-performance systems.

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2013

Okay, thanks a lot for your help.

Suggest an answer