Where to find logs older than atlassian-jira.log.5 in JIRA?

Karthik Bhat June 4, 2014

Our JIRA 5.2 instance have logs at /var/atlassian/application-data/jira/log. The oldest atlassian-jira.log is atlassian-jira.log.5. But I want to get an older log than that. Where can I find it?

archive.tgz is present in the same location. But it contains just one atlassian-jira.log and this log contains data between the months of March and April of last year. So where can I find the logs for the rest of the year?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2014

Hi Karthik,

JIRA rotates the logs every 20MB. That is way you see files with numbers. The last one is by default 5. I am afraid that you will not be able to see older logs here however you can also check catalina.out (<install>/log) that should be a bigger file and contain all entries that were also in atlassian-jira.log files. (depends on your Log4j configuration)

-Mirek

Thank you Mirek. I will backup my logfiles through a script then.

0 votes
Steve Thornhill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 4, 2014

The logs are rotated so that will be the oldest you will generally have on the system.

You would need to check that you have a alternate backup method in place that retains older files to be able to search further back.

Thanks Steve!

Is there a customizable setting in JIRA that will allow me to archive older logs to some known location? OR Should I back them up manually using crontab?

Suggest an answer