Where should an Issue with sub-tasks be in a Kanban board if all the subtasks are in different states?

Phil Grove May 19, 2016

Hey Guys,

We have recently moved to using a Kanban board in JIRA. Many of our engineers use sub-tasks to organise their work and each of these sub-tasks could potentially be in a different swim lane. My question is where the parent task should be during this time? So, lets take an example:

• Story X - ???
    • Sub-task 1 is In Progress
    • Sub-task 2 is In Code Review
    • Sub-task 3 is Blocked

What status should Story X be in at this point?

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Phil.

3 answers

1 vote
Deleted user May 20, 2016

I can tell you how we handle this at my company;

SubTasks are considered very small units of work that make up a story, that in themselves can not really be tested. Therefore they only have To do, In progress and Done status. (This is an important def.)

Stories go through a full 'life cycle' adding QA, UAT and planned for release. i.e. we test/implement at the Story level, not the subtask.

With this in mind, any time a subtask is moved to 'In Progress' we consider the Story 'in progress'. The Story can not be moved to QA until all subtasks are completed (Done), and yes, If a subtask is 'blocked/flagged' so is the Story.

If you define subtasks differently, this approach will need to be modified.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
Phil Grove May 19, 2016

Thanks Nic. I guess the fact that the sub-tasks are all in progress means that Story X is in progress but should it remain there if sub-task 3 is blocked? It feels like Story X maybe shouldn't be on the board at all but then it is difficult to identify the sub-tasks with their parent.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2016

That's the difficulty for me - I don't know what your process is, or how you want to represent issues that have a mixed set of sub-tasks!

My instinct would be to keep the stories on the board, and script something that sets the "impediment flag" on a parent whenever a sub-task is transitioned into "blocked" - that way you still get to see everything

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2016

That depends on the workflow for the Story and how you want to handle it!

Story X there is clearly not in a "to do" or "done" column, but I don't know what your process for stories is, so I can't tell you where it might best land.

Suggest an answer