Where is the sprint id

Andrew Wozniak June 17, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Editing multiple issues at the same time

I want to bulk add many stories to a sprint using the documented method for editing multiple issues. At one stage of the bulk edit, I check-box the "Change Sprint" item. After entering an existing sprint name, its shows an error:

Sprint id must be a number: sprint-2

Where does one easily find the "sprint id" for a named sprint?

8 answers

19 votes
Ruthuparna Rameshchand July 17, 2019

Sprint ID can be viewed in the "Advanced" JQL mode

A simple way to identify Sprint ID is to:

1. Go to "Search Issues" in Jira (Basic mode)

2. Select your project and add the "Sprint" filter (Form "More")

3. Select the sprint of which you want to identify the Sprint ID

4. Click "Advanced" to open the JQL panel

You should now be able to see the Sprint ID in Advanced JQL editor.

Amitkumar Magdum September 25, 2019

This solved my problem.

Like # people like this
tika widiati October 1, 2019

Cool, this is work so much. thank you :)

Like Ruthuparna Rameshchand likes this
Ruthuparna Rameshchand October 16, 2019

Welcome, glad it helped.

Asma Sadia Nishat November 18, 2019

This saved my time. Thanks.

Liz Haro April 8, 2020

Thank you! I'd been wondering how to find!

zach.l May 12, 2020

That works for me. Thnx.
Is this really the easiest way to find the Sprint id?

Like # people like this
Darrell DeVeaux July 14, 2020

This worked and was very helpful but DA*N does Atlassian make MANY things that should be very easy VERY complicated!

Like # people like this
ferferreira.fal February 8, 2021

It works for me.

Great! Thank you very much.

Bhumika Parikh February 18, 2021

Thank you!!! Other Atlassian thread with misinformation needs to be removed! this worked!

Ruthuparna Rameshchand February 18, 2021

Good to know this is helping you all :)

lmorilla April 8, 2021

thank you!!!!

1 vote
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2018

I found a link to the sprint on the right-hand column in the main View Screen of a ticket (under the "Agile" section). Mouse-hover over that link and the SprintID will show up in the URL.

SNAG_Program-0303.png

G V SHABAREESH February 1, 2019

def boards(self):
    board=self.jira.boards()
    print board

here you will get board id and with this board id we can find the sprint ids

def get_sprints(self):
    sprints_list = self.jira.sprints(board_id=id)#which we will get in above function
    print sprints_list

we will get the sprints with id's

1 vote
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2016

Update

I just stumbled over an implicit location "where the sprint ID is surfaced in the UI", namely the 'View in Issue navigator' image link to the right of the sprint name:

image2016-10-25 14:2:44.png

Hoovering over that image link to the right reveals the target URL in most browsers, and it reads something like:

https://jira.example.com/issues/?jql=sprint %3D 42

... or ...

https://jira.example.com/issues/?jql=sprint%20%3D%2042

... depending on how the browser renders the URL encoding.

Initial Answer

Good question - I'm not aware of any location where the sprint ID is surfaced in the UI, but require it often too, here's what I do:

Go to the backlog, hover the mouse over the sprint name in question and 'Inspect' the element with your browser development tools (usually accessible via the context menu). The sprint ID is then visible in attribute data-sprint-id of the surrounding div.

image2016-6-18 15:58:1.png

Andrew Wozniak June 20, 2016

Thank you Steffen,

That worked nicely.

As a workaround to "bulk edit" issues, it is much easier to add multiple issues to a sprint by using Shift-click and Ctrl-click as recommended here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/11977185

Best regards, Andrew

Kristina Haggård February 20, 2017

You can not always do that to cover your needs. With Issue Search you can collect a wide range of issues which are not even visible on the same board so you really need to know the Sprint ID to do a bulk edit on the collection.

Also being able to get a summary of all sprints including their IDs would help as sprints are somehow linked and shared between Projects. Thus making a deleted sprint from one Project also to disappear from the other one if they are sharing IDs. Which you don't know because you can't see their IDs. Chasing ID's via an URL or source is not the best way.

OR the bulk edit page can be improved to accept the name of a sprint and not the ID, which is the more user friendly way. I don't get why it isn't working that way already.

Drew Morrison-Rowe March 20, 2018

I had the same issue today, and was able to follow above instructions. We had collected a large set of user stories outside of JIRA, and I was doing an import from csv. As you would guess, the sprint name I put in didn't get loaded in the import, and I was doing bulk updates to correct. Yes, the bulk edit page should accept the name of the sprint. Can I vote for that?

Like # people like this
0 votes
Daniel Brown March 24, 2021

I found that when the sprint is active and you are looking at it, then the sprint=XXX will be in the URL.

0 votes
Michael Andrews February 18, 2021

If using Next Gen Project...

By Exporting to XML...

Assign an issue to a sprint.

In the sprint detail; Export to XML

The sprint number is displayed as per below as 422 before the sprint name.

<customfieldvalues><customfieldvalue id="422">TEST SPRINT NAME</customfieldvalue></customfieldvalues>

0 votes
Sneha Sasikumar March 4, 2020

Hello all, i was able to get the sprint id however the result set displays more than what the sprint actually holds. Can someone help?

Brandon Uniewski March 4, 2020

What do you mean the result set displays more? Does it display stories not in the sprint? I would suggest going to the home page, creating a new filter or search and using the basic view to help narrow down the project you want to look at, narrow down the issue type, and then add the sprint filter but pick anything and repalce the number with your number.  Your JQL should look something like this: 

issuetype = Story AND project = [your project] AND Sprint = [your sprint id] order by created DESC

My guess is that its showing you ANYTHING that has that sprint on it, but may not be filtering to look at just your project?

0 votes
Henk Smets August 22, 2019

I use the full name of the sprint with quotes.

f.i. to add the sprint "PI 6 Sprint 3" you get this JQL-query for a filter-swimlane:

sprint in (1034, 1025, 1086, 1071, 1040, 1046, "PI x Sprint x")

When you add/update the query, it changes it to the sprint id, the JQL-query becomes. Where 1108 will be the sprint id of "PI 6 Sprint 3":

sprint in (1034, 1025, 1086, 1071, 1040, 1046, 1108)

0 votes
Brandon Uniewski May 15, 2019

I was able to get the sprint ID by hovering my mouse over the ... options for the sprint itself, where the url in my status bar reported ?sprintid=### .  It would be nice if I could bulk import by sprint name as well, but im sure you just need to add sprint name to the import screen via the project options somehow.

Suggest an answer