Where i can write a JAVA program in JIRA

Vidhya GOWTHAM June 12, 2017

Hello All , 

I am a JIRA administrator . I want to to write a JAVA code using REST API in JIRA. Using JAVA code i have to develop / change some thing in my JIRA administration part. 

i didnt get any option to write a code in JIRA Software . where i can write JAVA code  and how  it is connected to my JIRA ? 

Thank you.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2017

Hi Vidhya,

you should read the tutorials and examples on calling Jira with the REST API here:

https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/jira-rest-apis/jira-rest-api-tutorials

There is also a Jira Java REST Client you can look at: 

https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JRJC/Home

Vidhya GOWTHAM June 16, 2017

Hello Thomas ,

Thank you so much . Now am trying to Create JIRA Sub-Tasks automatically when issue created .  

For this i am planning to write a code in JAVA . Here I  ididnt understood where to write JAVA program during the transition state . I used Scripting Suite for JIRA add-on , i think in this  add-on   Jython scripts only allowed ,it is not possible to write JAVA (am not sure ). So give me  some suggations to me. 

Is it possible to write a code in Eclipse for this task. 

Thank you.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2017

Hi Vidhya,

I didn't write code for that yet. For creating subtask with a Jira workflow, we are using the "Workflow Tool Box Plugin". It has a function for creating subtasks on a workflow transition. 

This works well, but it is not for free.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2017

There's two things you might mean here

1.  You literally mean you want to write "code in JIRA".  This is possible for Server versions of JIRA, and is a good idea to do it in Java, because that's what JIRA is written in.  You write and deploy an add-on containing your code, and JIRA runs it internally.  (There's also the option of writing directly in the core of JIRA and recompiling it, but I never recommend doing that.  Add-ons are the way to go)

2.  You mean you want to write code that talks to JIRA.  For that, you can write in any languate you want as long as it can talk to JIRA over its REST interface.  Start at https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/jira-rest-apis/jira-rest-api-tutorials

Edit - sorry, Thomas beat me to it!  I need to click refresh before posting!

Suggest an answer