Where does Jira put me after a delete?

Tim Carstensen March 15, 2017

If I am in a board (KanBan) and select an Issue and delete it - JIRA returns me to a different project (Actually in the issue list in the project at the end sorted alphabetically for which I have access) ??

Why am I not returned to the place I came from, or at least an issue list in the project I came from?

Very frustrating and confusing.

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

Hi Tim,

This doesn't answer why you get taken away from the board after deleting issues, but...

Do you really need to delete issues? Generally, I only delete issues when testing JIRA set-up and workflow config. I avoid it for real life use, because deleting an issue deletes all record of the issue having ever existed, and therefore all audit/history of work done (or not done!).

Instead, depending on exact needs, I have status called something 'Removed' in my workflow, and have resolutions like 'Duplicate', 'Raised accidentally' or 'Not needed'. When I want to remove an issue, I just transition it to the 'Removed' status and set the resolution appropriately.

On a Kanban board, I either:

• set up a 'Removed' column so that I can drag issues there to remove them.
  • Leave the 'Removed' status unmapped, so that issues don't even show on the board at all once they hit the 'Removed' status. To 'delete' issues from the board, I either open them in a new tab to hit the button for my 'Remove' transition or press the . key while the issue is highlighted on the board to bring up the 'Operations' dialog where I can type 'Remove' to quickly find my 'Remove' workflow transition.

That way you don't leave the board/project you are working in and you keep an audit/history of removed issues.

Sam

Tim Carstensen March 15, 2017

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your kind reminder of the best practices of JIRA deletions. Yes I do now and then need deletions!

Since I don't have the same problem in my test environment the underlying problem puzzles.'

Tim

Suggest an answer