Where does Discipline fit in a Matrix organisation Jira Setup

Gwilym Hughes July 30, 2013

Hi Jira,

We have a hybrid matrix organisation - this sounds posh, but it means we have a group of people who work in disciplines, one of which are a sepcific type of coders (ill call them just coders for clarity), some of the people who practice this discipline work in a group doing general code issues on our live site, others are assigned to specific projects (let’s call these games to make the difference between Jira Projects and actual projects).

All code work needs to be deployed in a certain way, and QA’ed. Therefore it needs to follow a workflow. Also it is good to have all the deployment stuff in one place for our release manager – as versions don’t work across projects.

As such, I think we need Jira Projects based on disciplines (e.g. Coders Project), and use Epic’s to link Game Features across different disciplines.

But then, if we want to do sprint planning on a Game feature that has a multi-discipline group, we can’t break it down in one project, as we need to have it across multiple projects (each discipline in their own project). So then I think we need different Projects in Jira based on Games, and link the Disciplines with components – but that won’t work as projects in Jira can have different workflows.

I guess then, my question is, how do you enforce disciplines to have set workflows across projects, should I separate the deployment from the work or is there another solution to this?

Thanks, and let me know if you need more info!

G

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Remigiusz Jackowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

As I understand, disciplines are group of people working on different things:

• Coders - creating game code in C#
  • Support - resolving bugs
  • Webmasters - resolving bugs on webpage (not in games)
  • Artist - making renders and textures

You want to make different workflows for issues worked on different groups. You can create custom type of issue (like bug, task, improvement) to name them (like code, support, webmastery, arts). To set different workflow for every issue type do this:

Create Issue type. Administration -> Issues -> Add Issue type -> "Code", "Support", etc.

Go to Administration -> Issues -> Workflow Scheme -> Add new scheme.

Edit it -> Add existing workflow -> pick extended workflow -> select "Code" type.

Add another wokflow, extend, select "Support" type.

To have standard workflow on "shared" types:

Add another workflow -> pick standard workflow -> select "all unassigned"

This way you can have different groups in one project (for example Game 1, Game 2) and easily manage it.

Gwilym Hughes July 31, 2013

I think this maybe the best way, use workflow scheme's to ensure the same workflow is used accross projects per discipline. I worry the amount of task types may soon get out of control (we have many disciplines) but i guess this is the best way to approach it and fits our needs i think!

Thanks (sorry, really should have seen this one)

Gwilym

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2013

If you're using any of the Greenhopper 6 versions, Boards can span multiple projects. Be careful with permissions, though. You need "Project Admin" permissions on all projects in the board in order to complete a sprint. If you do that, it seems like you can have one project per discipline and manage your Epics with issues from several projects. Again, be careful with permissions. Workflows can be as granular as per issue type per project, so you have a lot of flexibility there if you need it. I generally recommend keeping things as simple as possible, though.

Suggest an answer