Where do Task live?

Erik Bianchi May 11, 2015

I created a couple sample Scrum and Kanban boards testing out JIRA. I deleted both boards but the task I created in those boards still exist...

Is there a global backlog all task live in?

Can I create backlogs to boards so if I delete a board all task go with it?

1 answer

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2015

You've misunderstood what the Agile addon is doing here.  Boards are not the containers for issues.  A board is a view of a set of JIRA issues  which are held in one or many JIRA projects.   A board lets you change issues in all sorts of ways, but the issues are entities that are not part of a board.  In fact, it would be an utter disaster - just because you delete your board, why should it delete everything I'm working on in a different board? 

If you really want to remove issues, you need to go find the issues in their projects and delete them (bear in mind that delete really does mean it - you delete an issue, it's gone, and if you want to get it back, you need to start digging through backups!).

Erik Bianchi May 12, 2015

Thanks for the background Nic!

So do projects own issues them or is there a global issue view to see all issues?

Im wondering because I deleted all my boards and projects but issues still live. Did I orphan them?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2015

As I said, issues are held in one or many projects. You can't "orphan" them, an issue cannot exist outside a project, and boards have nothing to do with it. To see all issues, just run a search that does not limit itself to one project.

Erik Bianchi May 12, 2015

Got it! To clarify, issues are owned by projects! Thanks for your help mate!

Suggest an answer