Where can I manage labels?

Mikk Olli November 2, 2017

How to rename or create a new label in Jira?

Do I need to be an admin? can't find a place for that

4 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

You cannot manage labels centrally, it can only be done via issues. For example if you need to rename one you would have do a JQL to select all issues with the label, bulk edit them and add the new label, then bulk edit again to remove the old label.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

Another option would be to use one of the apps available to manage labels. Just search on labels in the Marketplace

Like # people like this
Adam Wainberg October 20, 2019

Does that mean that once a developer adds a new Label to the list, it can not be removed, or edited?  Maybe I am not reading this right, but that seems like an over site!  I understand that an issues label can be changed, but if someone adds an offensive, or incorrect Label to the available list, then it's stuck in that list for good...

Like # people like this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

@Adam Wainberg A label can be removed, as I mentioned above you have to remove it from all issues that have the label in question.

Like # people like this
Irene Tsygan September 18, 2020

But how can it be removed from "Labels" dropdown items list? 

Like # people like this
Tym Norman October 21, 2020

Run a query to find all the Issues across your entire jira instance with that label. Then you have to either do a bulk update to remove (but this will remove ALL labels). Or go through one by one and remove it. 

If the label exist on a single issue in Jira it will show in the dropdown.

Like # people like this
atorscho December 10, 2020

I can't say this is your best feature. There is no possibility to easily manage labels, nor remove organization and other things...

Like # people like this
Nicholas Yatracos April 13, 2021

This does seem clunky. I made a typo with a label and I'm trying to remove it. I've removed it from all issues, refreshed the page and it's still a selectable label...

Like # people like this
Roberto Miasack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2021

@Mikael Sandberg

As he said. You can delete a value from all tickets and even then the value does not disappear from the list. Is there a ticket for this?

Like Alec Brewster likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2021

@Roberto Miasack If you are using server you can only replace labels, see this KB for more information, https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-delete-a-label-in-jira-297667646.html

Like tony.astrom likes this
Roberto Miasack
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2021

I'm using Cloud. Have something?

Like Роман Вайсер likes this
Atly Apps May 14, 2022

In regards to deleted labels still showing up as suggested labels – one cause of this is that Jira stores recently entered labels in your browsers local storage, which is then displayed in the "RECENT LABELS" section.

There is a ticket here to change the way that this behaves, but in the mean time this list can be manually cleared by deleting the

__storejs_cache_prefix_labels

local storage item.

In Chrome this can be done by opening the browser Development tools, going to Application, then under "Local storage" in the sidebar selecting your jira url, and finally selecting the key noted above and pressing Delete.

Like # people like this
atorscho May 15, 2022

Great, thank you for informing us about this addon. I just tried it and it seems to work like expected.

Although I would consider this feature to be a part of Jira out of the box, without needing to pay for it separately. 

Like # people like this
Atly Apps May 22, 2022

We agree completely and would love to partner with Atlassian to integrate it into Jira.

Like # people like this
Asbjørn Søborg-Madsen May 31, 2022

+1 for that integration. Really should be globally available. You guys made a feature that should be included, best way forward is for Atlassian to just buy/rent it from you.

Karla Bernal August 15, 2022

seems that for every solution we (the end users) need to by some additional plugin @Mikael Sandberg did your PO do a benchmarking about the other apps? I suggest to take a look into azure DevOps... you don't need to buy additional plugins in order to list the stories under feature to review the feature progress, if you are creating a metric dashboard for your stakeholders you can include the average velocity of the team (or teams) you can even decide the shape/format of your dashboard... you don't need to buy an additional plugin to embed graphs/widgets from jira to confluence... anyway, there are lot of gaps that jira has. it's a shame

Like # people like this
Michele Bazzani September 8, 2022

@Karla Bernal I was legit saying this yesterday, it's like Jira is the Spirit Airlines of ITSM/Project software. Everything is extra. This is particularly frustrating when using the expensive ITSM ($45/u/m) product only to find it doesn't have standard features included and then to be further let down that the devs are aware and have been for years yet are refusing to implement because of reasons. *Shakes fist at the sky*

Like # people like this
yulia_plysiuk March 6, 2023

@Atly Apps thank you so much for your workaround! You improved my life! :)

Like Atly Apps likes this
2 votes
Parva C. - Narva Software May 23, 2022

Hi everyone,

Jira does not have built-in option to manage labels.

Fortunately, there are apps/add-ons that enable this feature. Our app for Jira Cloud provides extensive label management features, please try it using this link:

Label Management for Jira

If you are using Jira Server/DC, there are some other options in the Marketplace. You can find them using this link 👉 Atlassian Marketplace

Thanks

Parva

0 votes
Eric Bergeron October 13, 2022

There might be an alternative tackling the issues of the Labels field: 
A custom field of type "Checkboxes". 

The end-result of a Checkboxes custom field will looks and feels like the labels field, but with values that no one else but an admin can populate/modify. 

Hope this helps you. 
Eric

0 votes
Wolfgang Landes June 3, 2022

Hello Mikk Olli,

Jira native 'Labels' field allows everyone to create new labels anytime. This often results in a mess of options.

We built an App that not only allows to clean up (edit, merge, delte) Jira native 'Labels' field globally or on a project level, but also to create 'Label Manager' own custom field type that allow to predefine allowed labels globally or for each project.

Label Manager for Jira

This allows project admins to manage their the options themselves without help from global Jira admins. (Like components)

Also you can use the label as checklist by assigning traffic light colors indepent on each issue.

Hope I could help you

Thanks

Wolfgang

Suggest an answer