Where are the timestamps on Jira actions?

Dave H March 15, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Setting up JIRA Software

I'm reviewing tickets and every action (Comments, Activity, History) just say "Yesterday" or "2 days ago" or "A week ago".

I need to know what time of day someone did the action for various history and accountability reasons.

How do I do this?

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2017

Hi Dave,

if you stay with the mouse over the text, you get a tooltip with the full date and time

Dave H March 15, 2017

Thanks, but why is it unintuitive? It seems easier to just show the timestamp, I don't see how that's detrimental.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2017

Here is a ticket for this issue, where you can vote for: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41506

Maybe, some day, there will be a solution for that. 

With self-hosted Jira, you could change the behaviour, but not with cloud sad

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2017

You could try asking Atlassian Cloud support and see if they will make the change for you

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2017

They don't change it anymore, according to this comment...

Like ting li likes this
Dave H March 15, 2017

I thought this was Atlassian Cloud support.

Like Alexander Szczybor likes this
Dave H March 15, 2017

According to a comment on that document, JIRA puts the full timestamp in the source code but for some reason won't display it on the page.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2017

Most people don't need the full time, and are happy with a more human display. 

Makes sense in UX terms, as most readers will glance at "yesterday" or "a few minutes ago" and get the information they need.  Wheras 15:23:00 12/Jan/2017 and 15:24:34 12/Jan/2007 takes a lot longer for the brain to extract the information it's look for.

Dave H March 15, 2017

The format example you provide is a bit difficult to read because of its format; here's an example of an easy-to-read timestamp format I see on gitter.im, a chat client:

May 01 2016 17:42

For me it's easy to see the month, day, year, hour, and minute (though it would be easier if it were in 12-hour format with an am/pm, and maybe a comma here or there would help as well).

So I don't see the problem of showing a timestamp, just that your example is difficult to read.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2017

I picked that date format to prove the point that there's too much processing involved.  That does not change for the one you have given, especially as it is fundamentally wrong (an ordered sequence should always be presented in sequential significance - least to most, or most to least - 1 -> 5 or 5 ->1.  That format is inarguably wrong because its order is 3:2:1:4:5)

jason_s January 28, 2019

>if you stay with the mouse over the text, you get a tooltip with the full date and time

It doesn't appear to do that in the History pane.

0 votes
Nicholas Van Zant December 16, 2021

Is there a way to export this data so as to create an activity chart on an individual user? Maybe even compare against other users anonymously?

Potential solution: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-time-tracking/ 

Suggest an answer