Where are the specific upgrade instructions for JIRA version 4.4.5 to 5.2.11?

Kenny Ha May 7, 2013

Dear JIRA Administrators/Developers,

We have a need to upgrade JIRA from version 4.4.5 to 5.2.11 on a Linux environment. Well, it looks like there a lot of JIRA upgrade documents with the various JIRA versions. We have successfully upgraded JIRA according to the specific instructions from this website, https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA052/Upgrading+JIRA#UpgradingJIRA-upgradingonlinux. However, after the upgrade process, the database data entities from JIRA 4.4.5 are not transferred to 5.2.11, resulting in zero JIRA project. For example, we're hoping that JIRA has the ability of displaying one simple select list of exporting the entityengine.xml from any source version (4.4.5) to any destination version (5.2.11). [JIRA performs the data mapping migration of the database data entities from old to new versions]. We're hoping to find out how to transfer the entityengine.xml from the existing production environment to the upgraded environment. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenny

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2013

The short answer here is simple - you should not need to mess around with entityengine.xml

>However, after the upgrade process, the database data entities from JIRA 4.4.5 are not transferred to 5.2.11, resulting in zero JIRA project

That's the bit that worries me here. If you've followed the instructions, then ALL your data should have been imported and you shouldn't be missing a single issue or project.

I'd start by reading the log from the point at which you started the upgrade - I expect that to be quite long and filled with errors as Jira attempts to upgrade the data.

Kenny Ha May 13, 2013

Do we need to upgrade JIRA 4.4.5 to JIRA 5.0 first? Then upgrade from JIRA 5.0 to JIRA 5.2.11.

Thanks.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2013

Should be able to upgrade directly.

0 votes
Kenny Ha May 14, 2013

I have re-ran the upgrade process successfully from 4.4.5 to 5.2.11. Thanks for all your help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2013

Ahh, excellent :-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2013

You seem to be missing the point here. The upgrade documentation you were pointed to earlier is what you need to follow. 4.4.5 to 5.2.11 should be quite straightforward. But you've ignored what was pointed out earlier (messing around with entityengine and the fact you're losing data are indicators that you've not understood the upgrade and you've done something very wrong) and not really given us any more information to work with/

Could you tell us how you are actually getting on with this upgrade instead of asking more questions that don't seem to be helping?

0 votes
Kenny Ha May 13, 2013

What were some of the problems that you have found with version 5.2.11 release? Thanks.

0 votes
Kenny Ha May 13, 2013

Dear JIRA Administrators/Developers,

Since I cannot find any specific upgrade documentation from JIRA 4.4.5 to JIRA 5.2.11. Do we need to upgrade JIRA 4.4.5 to JIRA 5.0 first? Then upgrade from JIRA 5.0 to JIRA 5.2.11. You help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenny

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2013

I would try 5.2.10 if you are having problems with 5.2.11. Have found quite some problems with that particular release.

Suggest an answer