Where are "default statuses" listed?

Stephen Paulsen April 15, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Defining status field values

This page "Defining status field values" has a link "default statuses" in the sentence "JIRA applications ships with a set of default statuses ...".

That link leads to "Configuring Issues", which lists that "You can:"

• Add your own values for issue type, priority, resolution, and status

Where "status" links back to Defining status field values.

Neither page lists the default statuses, which is what I was looking for, and found in older JIRA 5.2 documentation "What is an issue?" but not in the current documentation.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

Hey Stephen!

Sadly, to my knowledge, the default statuses aren't explicitly listed or labeled within JIRA.  That said, there are two ways to see them.

1. View the default JIRA Workflow.  Those five statuses are the defaults that JIRA ships with; Open, In Progress, Reopened, Resolved, Closed.
  2. If you're an admin, you can browse to (Cog Icon) -> Issues -> Statuses.  If you hover your mouse over the Edit link for each one, you'll notice id=***** at the end of the URL.  The default statuses will have an ID of 1-6, where custom statuses all start with 10000.

I agree, I wish it was a little more verbose as to which statuses are the default ones, but this will get you there.

Good luck!

Stephen Paulsen April 15, 2016

Thanks... I can't find where to "View the default JIRA Workflow." either — I'm not an admin, "just" a project lead.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

No problem.  Here's what it looks like, just for your information:  

Like Martin_Fukátko likes this
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 19, 2017

Actually the list of all statuses is available for non-admins at

https://jira.mycompany.com/secure/ShowConstantsHelp.jspa?decorator=popup#StatusTypes

And changing Status to Issue gives you the issue types

Like # people like this
Bar T June 15, 2018

I can't tell the default steps (states). Is Reopened status a default?

Darren Lowe July 13, 2018

Matt Doar - thanks for the link above to all the statuses. Very helpful!

Suggest an answer