Where Do I Define Lot's Of Details About My Programs And/Or Assets

OptionSystems July 26, 2012

Trial Jira User - Happy at this stage with logging issues / Will use that

Have looked at Project Compenents - But not enough detail

My world I have 1000 programs - Each Program has a name, a descriptions and say 30 more pieces of information. I make changes to existing programs and create new programs. So for each of these programs I want to store say 30 pieces of information. I do not want source control for this though.

Program "ABC123" - I may have made change to this program with Issue3221 and Issue3321 and Issue0141. Each of these issue should point to program "ABC123" and program sould point to every issue

On an issue I need to be able to say - Changed Program or Asset or whatever you want to call it - An an issue I need to be able to show that I changed / linked to say 5 programs, or 10 programs or maybe 100 programs.

Is there a plugin - Any suggestions where I should look - In Jira, Projects, Components - Does not seem enough to help with above

Any suggestions / thoughts ?

Thanks - Grant

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2012

JIRA scalability like that is really in issues. Why not have an Applications project, 1-1000 or more issues, of issue type 'Application' with all the custom fields you need. Then, in your 'issues' project, just link to the application you want (you would need to search for it first, but you'll have a neat filter for that).

If you link to the Application project, the application project 'issue' will be the record of what was linked, that list may get long, how many linkages to applications are you expecting?

Anyone got anything better?

OptionSystems July 26, 2012

Playing with your suggestion now

Will let you know how it goes

Thanks for hopefully the good idea

OptionSystems August 19, 2012

Hi Andy,

Your suggestion seems to be working and look like going Jira and with your suggestion.

Thanks For Your Help

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2015

I like this Andy, and this actually inspired me in a totally separate way for asset tracking. :)

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2014

Hi, 
We were also annoyed over the fact that JIRA Components doesn't provide a richer context for more complex asset structures. That's one of the reasons we developed Insight for JIRA - Enterprise Asset Management

In Insight you can also automatically migrate your JIRA Components into Insight objects for a much richer experience.  

Suggest an answer