When will Jira OnDemand support the Structure plug-in?

Gerald Russell April 8, 2013

We are currently using Jira OnDemand, so we are not able to use the Structure plug-in. What is Atlassian's priority to support this plug-in for OnDemand clients?

I have found this Atlassian OnDemand issue where this enhancement is being tracked, but I have not seen any update from Atlassian.

The "Epic" feature allows for some categorization of a backlog, but Structure really has the features necessary to manage a large complex development project.

Thanks -- Gerald.

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2013

I think it's more "if" than "when".

Atlassian are pushing for Plugins (well, addons now) version 3, sometime this summer (or winter, if you're south of the equator), and that might well enable Structure, amongst others. I suspect they're concentrating on that, rather than expanding the range of V2 plugins/addons for OnDemand.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

Plugins v3 won't help get Structure to OnDemand. Our estimation is that moving Structure to Plugins v3 would require almost complete rewrite of the product and loss of some major functionality, not to mention unclear costs and risks of separate application hosting. So far it doesn't make sense for us to work on plugins v3 version of Structure.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2013

Ah, well, it was just a thought. I've not looked at plugins V3 at all yet.

Thanks for the update, that's useful to know.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

No worries, Nic! To clarify, I'm not saying Plugins v3 is no good - it's just too different. When starting a new project, we would consider Plugins v3 as well as other options.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2013

I'm expecting everyone who has code to have a bit of a wrench when we have to move to the next version of plugins... sorry... "add-ons" :-)

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2013

I truly hope there is no force majeure involved with P3 adoption. Unless many more API's are exposed, the isolated execution via REST will be the end of 'tight' integrations. Flipside, if Atlassian throw enough money at the REST API framework most things should be achievable, though painful.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

Agree with Igor and Andy. Had jira been written from the ground up to have the web UI communicate with the backend through the rest API, like say Nexus, then this would be more viable. As it is the REST api is incomplete and probably not as well tested as the servlets etc.

P3 will work well for things like Balsamiq and Gliffy... but it's easy to find more examples of where P3 will not work than where it will.

Suggest an answer