When viewing an issue and clicking the workflow button the status options have bracketed numbers after them. What does the number mean?

David Paulson May 28, 2015

See example:

image2015-5-28 15:26:43.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Nic,

As requested, please see attached a text copy of the workflow.  And below it, are the details that show if I click on the New(2) link near the top.Jira_Workflow_Text.jpg

Jira_New(2).jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2015

Yup, that's it - when you named the transitions you added the (2). Possibly because they were duplicate names and JIRA did it for you. You should be able to simply edit and rename each one now that you don't have the original transitions

David Paulson May 29, 2015

Thanks Nic, that is what I needed to do. I appreciate your help.

0 votes

We wanted the workflow to allow all statuses to transition freely to other statuses so we setup the workflow as seen in the attached diagram using the "All" option.  Could that be the issue?  Do we actually have to setup transitions between each status to the others?workflow.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2015

No, the "all" should cover it. But if you had transitions with the same name when you created the "all" for each status, that could have caused it.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2015

The admin who built the workflow has added (2) to the end of the transition names for some reason.  Best guess is that the workflow already had transitions with those names, which blocks duplication, so the admin added the extra text to distinguish them from the originals (stretching the guesswork - they probably got rid of the old transitions as well, so the (2) should have been temporary and removed later)

Hi Nic, I helped with the setup and the text (2) was not added to the end of the transition names by us.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2015

I can't remember if it's automatic when you reuse an existing transition name, so it might not be a totally human action. However, the other possibility is an addon doing odd things to the names. Could you nip into the workflow and click on the transitions to see what their actual names are? In fact, it would be easier (especially if you are going to show us) to use the text view of the list of status - that tells us more in one go than the diagrams.

Suggest an answer