When using GreenHopper, what is a good baseline for Story Points...1-10?

Question asked during the August 30th, 2012 webinar titled "Improving Processes with Scrum and Kanban"

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

I tend to like Fibonnaci numbers

1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34 and 55 as the top. Anything over 55 probably is too large of a project that can be tackled in a sprint.

As Jay's answer probably points out, this question is very vague. What does a story point mean for your team? Are they hours, days, weeks, etc? And regardless, it really has nothing to do with GreenHopper.

Hi Danny,

I'm with Jay on this one. Fibonnaci numbers work well for sorting out the relative effort of a story - you don't have an argument about whether it is a 5 or a 6, instead it's a question of "is it a 5 or an 8?".

One way to start is to select a user story that the team is fairly confident about how much effort is involved. Estimate this using fibonnaci and call it a 3 or a 5, for instance, then you can proceed with estimating other stories using that issue as an indication.

Thanks Danny,
Nicholas Muldoon
@GreenHopperTeam

We use the somewhat typical X-small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, ??? approach during the estimation game. Then I translate that to 2,4,8,16,32. 32 is too big for us to get into a sprint, we do 1 week sprints, so we break it down. 16 we usually break down as well. Anything over 32 is an epic and needs to be broken down.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted 5 hours ago in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

23 views 1 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you