When updating my plan in JIRA Portfolio it seems to also be updating original and remaining estimates incorrectly

steve tolson August 17, 2015

I've got a plan in JIRA Portfolio tied to many JIRA projects. Today I did an 'update from date..."

It seems that for many JIRA issues were updated with incorrect original and remaining estimates.

I did not think what I was doing would push any updates from JIRA Portfolio or change any estimates.

I DID NOT do a "planned update to project(s)..."

Under plan config, data, sync: Update estimates is set to off.

Under keep backlog items in sync, Summary, Description, and Estimates fields were checked. Did having estimates checked cause this?

In short, my goal is to only go in one direction - Bring updates from JIRA to JIRA Portfolio (not vice versa).

I only want to update the work logged, status change, and progress. I don't care about updating the estimate if it might cause issues like this.

Can anyone advise?

2 answers

1 vote
Stephen Cox November 4, 2015

Same issue happening to us - Portfolio "Update from date" is editing the "Original Time estimate" (e.g. adding 32 mins or so) in JIRAs and setting the "Remaining Time Estimate" to the same value as the Original Time Estimate - which makes it look like the JIRA still has  it is affecting the JIRA sprint burndowns - but we need to "Update from date" in portfolio in order to accurately predict plans from here forward.

Note: as recommended in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/regular-plan-updates-715263783.html - we are using the date of the last sprint:

"If you are working with iterations, it is recommended that you use the planned start date of the upcoming sprint as the update date."

Can you explain why the start date of the next planned sprint must be used?

Note: we did initially think the adjustment of time was related to different number of hours set in JIRA (8h) and Portfolio (7.5h) - but these are now set to 8h.

0 votes
Deleted user February 12, 2016

What I've noticed is that doing "update from date" in portfolio that includes a story which has a sub-task causes the sub-tasks remaining estimate to be accumulated again into the story's estimate.

Steps to reproduce:

• Have a portfolio initiative, epic, and story using time-tracking.  Link Story to a JIRA Story.  I don't know that it matters how this is achieved (either pushing from portfolio or importing from jira).  The story should have an estimate in portfolio when linked.
  • Apply updates to project/s in portfolio
  • Add a sub-task to the story.  Give the subtask an estimate.  Log 1h against it.
  • Return to the story and note that estimates now include both the original story estimate and sub-task estimate.
  • From portfolio, update from date today.  Notices the story now has the combined estimates.
  • Update from date today again.  Noticed that the time remaining in the sub-task has been added again to the stories estimate.  Each time you update from date, you'll re-accumulate the sub-tasks remaining estimate.

Seems pretty well broke to me.  I've read in the bug description that this is not likely to be fixed, but this behavior in portfolio is clearly dangerous.  Anyone know how to vote for this bug or report the above reproduce steps as a new, special case bug?

Michelle Melancon February 23, 2016

Update from Date is killing me.  Along with 500 other questions on exactly what the behavior is with the configuration options and best practices..  Hope you get an answer for this one. 

Justin Blackwelder April 6, 2016

I can confirm the same behavior.  This behavior has not caused us to abandon sub-tasks as it has caused one User Story to update remaining hours over 1000, after repeated 'update from date'.  This is frustrating.

Suggest an answer