When to create a new JIRA Project dilemma?

Tristan Leask August 28, 2015

Hi Gang,

I am racking my brains as to if we are using our JIRA system in a sensible way or not.  Currently, whenever we have a new engineering project (that is run under our agile process) we create a whole new project in JIRA that contains all of that projects epics, storeys and tasks.  That JIRA project then encapsulates everything to do with that project, and then when the project is finished, anything left over is either closed off as not being done, or move in to another project which is used for released versions of the product (i.e. customer support issues, none project related bugs, etc) as our releases are done in a waterfall process and support issues requires a different work flow to agile projects.

This process seems to work fine, however after reading the hardware sizing documentation for the server running JIRA and how the number of projects the JIRA affects the spec, it is making me wonder as to if we are going to start to run in to trouble after we have run 100 or so projects (probably not for a while yet).

So, am I doing it wrong?

Should we just have the one agile JIRA project that is used for all our agile project work, and have a field that can be used to assign a JIRA item to a specific dev project code?  Can you run multiple sprints at the same time under JIRA agile and not faff up the reporting of those sprints/separate projects given that they would all be under one JIRA project?

Thoughts on my dilemma would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2015

Should we just have the one agile JIRA project that is used for all our agile project work, and have a field that can be used to assign a JIRA item to a specific dev project code?  

• Whether you create new projects for all your new work or not, for me it always come back to traceability and ease of use. If you think reporting and tracking will be better this way, stay on it. If you want to use a single JIRA Project, you may use "Components" to categorize the work (Database, FrontEnd, Infra etc...). In our use, One Product = One JIRA Project.

Can you run multiple sprints at the same time under JIRA agile and not faff up the reporting of those sprints/separate projects given that they would all be under one JIRA project?

How big is your hardware? The number of JIRA Projects/Issues should not affect that much (I have 1,200 Projects, 600,000k issues) and everything still runs smoothly. Read JIRA 5 Performance Secrets article.

0 votes
Tristan Leask September 14, 2015

Thanks for your answer.  This gives me some food for thought!  Cheers

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2015

You are most welcome, cheers! :)

Suggest an answer