When should I federate JIRA, and how many instances do I need?

Catherine Pierce June 30, 2015

I have 45 projects, 500 custom fields, 120 workflows, 300 user groups and 40,000 issues (adding 1200 issues per week).  I'm looking for some general guidance.  I know I need to consult with an expert, but wanted to get some feedback so I know what direction I should be headed in.

There is some push to have a single instances, where other people think maybe 3-5 is a good way to go.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2015

I would probably suggest getting an expert or talking through what you've got with somebody at an AUG. 120 and 500 custom fields is a lot for 45 projects. I've seen a lot more but we're talking about 11 unique fields and 2.6 workflows per project. The user experience will be painful when it comes to jql and such. I would imagine that there is some confusion with the different workflows as well.

You might want to try to standardize configs things (I'd be surprised if you went through the fields if there weren't a lot of them that were common) instead of standing up more instances.

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2015
0 votes
Catherine Pierce June 30, 2015

My concern is more the number of custom fields and workflows (and projects) that we have, and will be adding.  The page you linked mentions complexity, but doesn't give any sort of guidelines as to what is too complex.

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2015

Catherine, from what I'm seeing from another customers, 40k issues is not a high amount of issues to create a federate JIRA. I'd say that 500k starts to be too much and then you can think about this.

But of course, that will depend on your JIRA's load, how many users accessing at the same time, what kind of usage they do, and other things. 

Please also take a look at the "Reasons to set up a federated environment" part of this documentation, that might be helpful as well.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Andre 

Suggest an answer