When setting velocity based on previous sprints do I really need an Agile board per team?

Donald Jones June 9, 2016

I have typically had an agile board which lists stories which can be taken on by multiple teams. These teams sprint items are both setup in the same board and run in parallel (courtesy of the Parallel sprints JIRA lab item which has now been formally enabled by default).

Reading the 'Setting velocity based on previous sprints', section it appears that this configuration will not allow easy import, as it will take the velocity from the last five sprints, which could have actually been done by multiple teams,rather than one team.

Is this correct?

In this scenario, I presume that I would have to manually calculate and add the average velocity for the two teams?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rhys Christian
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 20, 2016

Hey Donald,

This is correct. The velocity represents the average velocity of the board's past 5 sprints. So in Portfolio if two teams are associated to the same board then that average value will be the recommended velocity for both teams without breaking it down for each team. In this scenario you would need to calculate the average velocity yourself.

Thank you for providing feedback - this may be a cause for confusion we should address.

Kind regards,

Rhys

Donald Jones June 22, 2016

Certainly now that JIRA portfolio recognises the concept of multiple teams, it would be useful if there was some way to map a team to a sprint. There are a whole host of reports which could then fall out of the tool, such as making the velocity report useful for individual teams velocity trend. In my current scenario, it does not really work, and I need to manage it manually.

Suggest an answer