When moving a card, why doesnt the status order in the kanban board match the order in column configuration?

Chuck Vanderwist March 8, 2016

In the column configuration for my Kanban board, the "Done" column displays statuses in this order:

• Done, Invalid, Cancelled

When moving a card to "Done" column, the statuses are displayed in the following order:

• Cancelled, Invalid, Done

1. Why?
  2. How can I change this so that "Done" status is at the top when I'm moving a card to this column? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chuck Vanderwist March 9, 2016

Atlassian has created bug ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-12944 for this problem.

Apparently they agree that the order in kanban view should match the order in Column Config for the board, as do I. Why else would you allow the statuses to be re-ordered in the column config, vs alphabetized or by status ID?

The impact of this bug is that issues could accidentally be assigned to an unintended status, if the target column contains multiples and they are ordered with the least common status at the top of the column.

3 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2016

Hi @Charles Vanderwist,

This has to do with the ranking of your tickets and have nothing to do with the order you have set the status.

If you want to filter out the Done or Invalid, I suggest to add quick filters to your kanban to filter those statuses when needed.

Chuck Vanderwist March 9, 2016

Actually, Atlassian has deemed this to be a bug. It still occurs in Kanban boards which do not utilize the ranking feature. See my answer for the bug ticket ID. You can't "rank" a status... and changing an issue to another status has no relation to the rank of the card you are moving.

Suggest an answer