When moving a card, why doesnt the status order in the kanban board match the order in column configuration?

In the column configuration for my Kanban board, the "Done" column displays statuses in this order:

• Done, Invalid, Cancelled

When moving a card to "Done" column, the statuses are displayed in the following order:

• Cancelled, Invalid, Done

1. Why?
  2. How can I change this so that "Done" status is at the top when I'm moving a card to this column? 

2 answers

1 accepted

Atlassian has created bug ticket https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-12944 for this problem.

Apparently they agree that the order in kanban view should match the order in Column Config for the board, as do I. Why else would you allow the statuses to be re-ordered in the column config, vs alphabetized or by status ID?

The impact of this bug is that issues could accidentally be assigned to an unintended status, if the target column contains multiples and they are ordered with the least common status at the top of the column.

Hi @Charles Vanderwist,

This has to do with the ranking of your tickets and have nothing to do with the order you have set the status.

If you want to filter out the Done or Invalid, I suggest to add quick filters to your kanban to filter those statuses when needed.

Actually, Atlassian has deemed this to be a bug. It still occurs in Kanban boards which do not utilize the ranking feature. See my answer for the bug ticket ID. You can't "rank" a status... and changing an issue to another status has no relation to the rank of the card you are moving.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

59 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you