When is the correct timing to update license of JIRA?

Mel mel May 7, 2012

Before importing the JIRA instance & restoring the backup to another server, must we update the license?

Else, upon restoration of JIRA to another server, will it still be possible to update the license information?

For older JIRA version, e.g. 3.3, do you know if it is still possible to renew the license?

For importing JIRA instance (older version like 3.1 or 3.2 which are using the default DB (HSQL)), is it correct that only data & user information backup can be restored? And for attachment we will need to back up the attachment folder separately and restore back the same folder in the new server - JIRA directory?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

You can up date the licence before or after, although if you are migrating from an older version you will need to upgrade before it will accept the 4.0+ licence.

> For older JIRA version, e.g. 3.3, do you know if it is still possible to renew the license?

It's out of support, check with sales.

> For importing JIRA instance (older version like 3.1 or 3.2 which are using the default DB (HSQL)), is it correct that only data & user information backup can be restored?

No, everything can be restored/upgraded.

> And for attachment we will need to back up the attachment folder separately and restore back the same folder in the new server - JIRA directory?

Correct.

Mel mel May 7, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. But i still need to clarify the following:

> For importing JIRA instance (older version like 3.1 or 3.2 which are using the default DB (HSQL)), is it correct that only data & user information backup can be restored?

No, everything can be restored/upgraded.

<New Clarification> May be my previous question is ambiguous, I meant to ask in order to import the existing JIRA to another server, I may need to install JIRA first & then restore the data & user information (data & user back up assumed to be completed). So in this case only data & user information can be restored. Is it correct to state like this?

Thanks.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

Err, I don't understand. All of the data is contained in the XML backup. You just restore that into the new system. Not sure what you mean by "user backup".

Mel mel May 8, 2012

Hi,

"User backup" is referring to the login user data, meaning that I will not need to create new login user if XML backup contains the user information as well.

Thanks.

Suggest an answer