• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • When i export a Jira project (all fields) into Excel the original estimate and remaining estimate are not as entered by the assignee.

When i export a Jira project (all fields) into Excel the original estimate and remaining estimate are not as entered by the assignee.

For example, a task in Jira is entered as 3 weeks 4 hours. When exported the original and remaining estimate fields both contain a value of 446400.

This occurs for every task on every project. I can't seem to figure out how 446,400 relates back to 3 weeks 4 hours or if this is just some sort of error with the export.

1 answer

0 votes

It's exporting a simple number of seconds for compatibility reasons (most spreadsheets won't understand strings like 3w 4d 2h). Divide it by 3,600 to get the export in hours.

I get 124 hours out of that, which implies your timetracking settings are 8 hours a day, 5 days a week because dividing by 8 gives 15.5 days.

Nic,

Thanks for the comment, but when I do the math it does not seem to work out.

If I break down the time estimate:

• 3 weeks @ 5 days per week and 8 hours per day = 120 hrs.
  • 4 days @ 8 hrs per day = 32 hrs.
  • 2 additional hrs.

120 hrs. + 32 hrs. + 2 hrs. = 154 hrs in 3W 4d 2h (not 124 hrs).

154 hrs. = 554,400 not 446,400 as exported.

What am I missing?

I'm really sorry, I've completely muddied the waters by using a different string in my example, then doing the calculation on your real data.

You said 3 weeks, 4 hours, which is ((3 * 5 * 8) + 4) * 3600 = 446,400, and that's what you get in your spreadsheet.

If you'd used my data (3w 4d 2h), you'd get 554,400 in the spreadsheet.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,754 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot