When does JIRA strike through an issue?

Rodolfo December 23, 2014

It seems that issues are not consistently stroked through when resolved across all JIRA. It shows ok in Agile boards but it doesn't show up stroke through on other areas of the application. How does JIRA identify issues that will be stroked through?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2014

It happens when a resolution is set on the issue. Note that resolution and resolved status are different. Check out

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOCSPRINT/Resolved,+Resolution+and+Resolution+Date

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Resolutions+Are+Not+Set

Rodolfo Romero
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2014

I understand the difference between "Resolved" status and the resolution field. It is set. I have tested this in both JIRA Cloud and Server and in both cases the issue key is not stroke through even though the issue is in a "Resolved" status and the resolution field has been set. Can you verify this in your instance? I'm testing this in JIRA Server 6.2.7 and JIRA Cloud and I'm getting the same results in both.

Like Eino Gourdin likes this
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2014

It works fine for me. Maybe you can add a screenshot?

Rodolfo Romero
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2014

Here is the screenshot.

JIRA Resolution set issues not stroke through.PNG

Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2014

If you are looking at the issue navigator, they won't appear as strike-through. But if you are seeing those issues in the list of linked issues or inside a comment, they will be stroked through.

Like Aaron Whigham likes this
Rodolfo Romero
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2014

I understand now. This is the expected behavior then. Thanks.

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 23, 2014

Is it suppose to be when the resolution field has a value.   Unresolved value is really an empty field.

James Hendrix October 29, 2019

Upvote.

The original question had already identified the inconsistency of the strikethrough in various areas of the application.

The question was, "How does JIRA identify issues that will be stroked [sic] through?"  The answer, as provided by @Norman Abramovitz here, is that the Resolution field gets populated.  That is, it starts out blank and is updated manually, via script, or via workflow, which causes the application to show strikethrough in those screens where it does that.

Suggest an answer