When did Jira Project Descriptions stop allowing HTML content?

Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2015

We are currently upgrading from JIRA 6.1.6 to JIRA 6.3.15.  We have noticed that at least one project that was using HTML in it's project description field is no longer rendering.  We have changed the identified project to wiki-markup instead of HTML, but with over 400 more projects that will be updated over the next few weeks, I would like to get confirmation, in order to announce it to our users.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2015

Referring to Project Descriptions (not custom field descriptions) you should have the option Enable HTML in project description in General Configuration I believe. (/secure/admin/ViewApplicationProperties.jspa)

It's probably set to OFF, but you should be able to turn it ON. I just checked an installation of JIRA 6.3.15 and it still had the option in the Admin panel.

Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2015

You are correct. Thanks for the help. This was not a setting that was enabled in Jira 6.1.6, at least it was not configurable through the General Configuration page. It looks like the default value for this has been changed to OFF, and is now configurable.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2015

I've had several customers with the same issue so I was pretty certain of what the issue was: I believe you are correct in how that behaves. And it was no problem, I love to help. For the record, I prefer to have it "Off" because then the Description supports Wikicode (so you get the panels and tables included there) and my usual customers don't know how to write arbitrary HTML or have a use for it anyway.

0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2015

Starting from JIRA 6.2, description fields can no longer show HTML/Javascript: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Fields+Allowing+Custom+HTML+or+JavaScript

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 5, 2015

Sorry but that is incorrect.

Suggest an answer