When creating issue manually Jira does not send email to the reporter

Romeo Reyes May 10, 2016

I created an issue and i assign it to a customer as a reporter, but the customer doesn't receive an email about the issue.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2016

When you create an issue "manually", I am assuming that you are using the big blue "Create" button at the top of your screen. Creating in this fashion does not add a "Request Type", so the notifications will use your JIRA core notification scheme, and not the "Service Desk" scheme that it sounds like you are expecting. If you use this guide, you can create an automation rule to apply a request type automatically whenever you manually create an issue:

You can do this either with a post function on create, or using the automator plugin. You will need to know the raw values for each of your request types from the database. 

JSD-1809 - Automatically set Customer Request Type when issue is created via JIRA OPEN

This ticket has some info and instructions using the plugin, however the concepts are the same as a post function in workflow. Feel free to reply if you have any more questions, we used that information to correct this in our environment. 

1 vote
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2016

This is expected behaviour. Changing the reporter after the issue is created does not send a notification.

Also in order for JIRA Service Desk to send a notification to the customer, I believe the issue must be created through the customer portal.

Dave Truman May 11, 2016

Ideally it should be created using the customer portal, but if it isn't, you can make an issue visible to your customer by doing the following:

1. Change "Reporter" to the customer.
  2. Change service desk Request Type to one of the valid types defined for your service desk.

I don't believe doing any of these will send the customer a notification, so you may want to add a comment to the issue to make them aware of it. (Then they can reply to that email to add further comments without having to use the portal.)

0 votes
Bulanov_Maxim April 25, 2017

Add post function "The Customer Request Type of the issue will be set to sd/getithelp"  to transition: Create issue. This wiil triger Issue Created event and send mail to reporter.

sd = project key

0 votes
Romeo Reyes May 10, 2016

It is when an issue is creating not when the issue is created, not changing the reporter either it is when assigning. Some Customer is sending an email directly to me and i want to manually create the issue , but reporter don't get an email when the issue is created.

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2016

Have you checked your notification scheme?

Check if the reporter in the Issue Created event in the notification scheme.

Suggest an answer