When creating a Subtasks, how can it inheritate the same STATUS as its parent issue?

Papa May 27, 2020

Hi,

When I create any issue(User Story, subtask etc)  in JIRA goes to ICEBOX status.

Usually when we do the tasking of a UserStory is when the US is Ready for Development or in TODO Status. But when I create the subtasks of that US they go to ICEBOX which forces me to go to ICEBOX and progress the subtask, which doesn’t make any sense.

I need to know how to assign automatically to the subtask the same status than its parent US has.

Also, it will be great that when one of the subtask of a User Storie starts the development, the system moves it automatically to development status.

Thank you

1 answer

0 votes
Sebastian Mühleis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2020

Hey Papa,

at first glance it seems to me as if you have two options:

1. You can set certain values for certain fields, e.g. that the standard issue you create is an epic and so on. In this context you can also set the value for certain fields...

2. ...but to me it rather sounds that you need to implement some automation rules.

Here you find an extremely good webinar, in which you get to know automation, very practical examples and also a playground where to test them (without using your automation executions - if you have limitations): https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/getting-started-automation-jira

If you need further help let me know - I was fighting your find roughly two months ago, but am a happy man by now ;-)

Suggest an answer