When committing with Source Tree is there a way to create a Jira issue by keyword?

monkeypunch March 14, 2013

There are times when I commit code with Source Tree (or Git) and I mention the JIRA issues in the comments like this (so they get linked with all Atlassian products):

PROJECT-121 Add link to header text
PROJECT-143 Removed border around
PROJECT-303 Something else

But then there are a few other changes that I needed to make that I want to there to be a record for.

So my commit comments usually ends like this:

- Added new functionality to form
- Removed text limit on message box
- Found minor typo or incorrect color used in form

So is there a way or a tag I can add to create a new JIRA issue in the comments like this:

- Added new functionality to form #createJiraIssue
- Removed text limit on message box #createJiraIssue
- Incorrect color used in form #createJiraIssue

This would be really helpful because then there can be a record for these changes and people can search and raise issues and add comments on these and they would be in the system (if we ever needed them) and I wouldn't have to go through the process of creating them manually. Does this make sense? These are usually minor enough changes but you still want a record for them. We have people that go through and verify commits and resolve and close issues. This would create a record for them that they could also fill out with more information if need be. This type of situation occurs on almost every commit. So it would be a huge benefit to developers wanting to work on and focus on code than logging into Jira to create issues and so on.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

Hey there,

We do have plans for better integration with JIRA in the future. We have a couple of issues open for this here and here which are worth checking out. Feel free to add comments or create a new issue with further input.

That said, if you want to link the JIRA issue to commits and vice-versa you'd need to use a post-commit hook to get the commit for the issue (if, for example, you wanted to create a comment on the issue with a commit that has been made). Otherwise you can use a pre-commit hook and have a simple script which does a POST request to JIRA containing the details necessary to create an issue based on the commit contents.

You just rename the "pre-commit.sample" file to "pre-commit" (in your .git/hooks folder) and then put whatever you want in it as it runs as a shell script. In your case you'd perhaps want to follow this guide to creating a JIRA issue through a POST request. To get the data out you'll need from the commit I'd highly recommend this article which shows what env vars get set.

Hope that helps

monkeypunch March 26, 2013

Great! Any solution from Atlassian will be better than my patchwork. Thanks

0 votes

From what I found, and I'm not an expert, is you can change a commit message soon after it's committed but not after others have committed, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/179123/how-do-i-edit-an-incorrect-commit-message-in-git, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/457379/how-do-i-edit-an-incorrect-commit-message-in-git-ive-pushed. You can amend a commit message locally before pushing to live. It sounds like it could work.

0 votes

That's a good point. You would need a precommit hook that would create the issues and then update the comment like you said. I think Git allows you to update comments after a commit, I'll check. If that isn't possible it would be acceptable (to me) to create a new commit that added issue keys in the next comment. I wasn't at first concerned with adding the keys to comment but now that you mention it it sounds like these issues may get lost without it.

0 votes
Wim Deblauwe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

How would you trace those issues back to the commit? Since the issues still need to be created, there is no JIRA key. Or you would need to install a kind of pre-commit hook that would update the comments. Don't know if that is possible.

Suggest an answer