When changing a field i want the comment field to be required(or a screen to pop)

فادي October 22, 2019

When anyone changes the due date for an issue i want to know why by a screen or to make a comment required ,, can i do it? 

its not related to the transition in the workflow, only a field change.

Thank you

3 answers

2 votes
Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2019

no, you can't do it as you describe it. The compromise solution:

Allow only to edit that field on a transition (from one status to the same status) and as part of the transition add a validator that a comment is added as well. Won't end being the prettiest workflow at all, specially if you are going to do allow this type of transition on many of your workflows status. Personally I wouldn't set up these on more than 2 status at most.

Hernan Halabi - Elite IT Consulting Group
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2019

Hi @فادي did this help you solve your issue? do you need any extra assistance? would be good to mark this as solved if it's really the case

1 vote
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 22, 2019

Hi @فادي ,

I usually implement those business logics by removing the field from the edit screen, adding a specific transition (might be a global reflexive one - "from any status to itself") and also adding a validator to this transition (if field is changed, require comment). In order to do so, please check for a workflow app (if you don't have one installed already) here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/categories/workflow

Cheers
Thorsten

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2019

consider an addon, e.g. Scriptrunner, Automation for Jira, Power Scripts, etc. especially if you already have a suitable addon installed.

فادي October 28, 2019

i have automation for jira , how can i don it?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2019

I mislead you. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. :-(

As Hernan stated, you can only require a comment as part of a transition. Automation for Jira won't get you there. You might be able to write some java script to get you there but have never attempted so can't really assist there.

the right solution, as Hernan and Thorsten mentioned is to allow the field to be edited only associated w/ a transition.

Suggest an answer