When an sprint closes and an issue moves to the next sprint, is the original estimate changed to the remaining estimate

Dean Ascioti May 29, 2015

If an issue has an original estimate of 40 hours and remaining estimate of 16 hours, when that issue is moved to the next sprint at sprint close, will there be a new original estimate of 16 hours? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2015

No. These values won't change when an issue is moved to the next sprint at sprint close.

I seem to recall other scrum management tools like Version One doing something like that when "splitting" an issue, but JIRA Agile doesn't do that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2015

Yes, it's a spectacular pain when software does that, you can't get any useful judgement on how well your estimates are working out.

Agreed. However, then it dooms the next sprint to have bad estimates at the outset unless they are adjusted. Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2015

Well, not really, because you've still got the original estimate. If you decide it's completely wrong, that's fine, you can change the remaining estimate and still retain the information that your original estimate was not as good as it cold have been.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2015

But yes, you still have to remember to re-evaluate them.

0 votes

Thanks to all for the comments!  My question is answered. 

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2015

No problem. I feel cheap asking that, but could you "accept" the answer? I'm starting to build up my stats :)

Dean Ascioti May 30, 2015

absolutely!

Suggest an answer