When adding customer to service desk it's also added to Confluence

Melvyn Sopacua September 29, 2014

Adding a customer to a service desk does a few things wrong in our case:

1. User is added to Confluence, affecting it's license (Confluence is using JIRA for users)
  2. An invite is sent to the customer to join Bitbucket. I have no idea why or where to disable this - we do use the DVCS plugin, but that's not for customers.

Before I attempt bulk imports, I'd like to know we're not sending out invites we shouldn't or locking ourselves out of Confluence. We're using ServiceDesk 2.0 in a trial setup.

3 answers

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 26, 2014

Hi Melvyn,

There is a bug tracking the behavior of sending a bitbucket invite to Service Desk users here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-870

0 votes
Melvyn Sopacua September 29, 2014

Hi Geert,

thanks you for answering.

This is likely the root cause. I only have a group service-desk-agents. No "service-desk-customers" or something to that effect. Is this an error during install?

I also don't see an obvious way to configure where service desk customers should end up in. The global configuration for Service Desk is rather terse and only contains three boolean options.

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

Hi Melvyn, Can you lookup a customer user in the user management section and see if it belongs to any groups? In both JIRA en Confluence? Maybe the groups are automatically added when the user is registered in the JIRA directory. In any case, Confluence recognizes the user a someone with the Can Use permission, otherwise the user would not be able to login to Confluence and count towards the license. Geert

Melvyn Sopacua October 1, 2014

Hello Geert, I just created a new user. The user is visible within Confluence, but currently not affecting the license. Within Jira there are no groups assigned. I'm gonna let this run overnight to see if any scheduled tasks or reindexes change this. I have no explanation why there were groups assigned to the other user we created. If it doesn't happen again, I won't dread the past. :)

Melvyn Sopacua October 1, 2014

However, I did get an invite to Bitbucket. Shall I create a support ticket for this?

Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2014

That is probably the best, I do not know anything about that. Good luck!

Jesper Goos November 11, 2014

I am experiencing the same problem - have you found a solution for this?

Melvyn Sopacua November 12, 2014

Not yet. So far we've been able to work around it by killing off old confluence users. I am however closer to the cause: - On initial account creation of the servicedesk user, everything seems correct - Once indexation has run during the night, Confluence starts to complain. - The user in question does NOT have any confluence related groups assigned to her. I suspect the cause to be related to the jira shared directory.

0 votes
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2014

Hi,

The first bullet probably has to do with your Confluence configuration (and your JIRA configuration). A customer is added to a group in JIRA, which you can configure as a Service Desk Administrator. When this group also has Can Use permission in Confluence, the user is counted towards the license.

I am not familiar with the DVCS plugin, but it will probably send mail to new users or users in a certain group, so make sure that Service Desk customers are not in that group.

Regards,

Geert

Suggest an answer