When Trying to import CSV file cannot find Issue type in the field mapping

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2014

Hi Experts
When trying to import issues from csv file - 
on the import wizard cannot find the field issue type in the dropdown if the jira fields
Can you please advise?
Thanks
Naama

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014

What do you mean "cannot find the field issue type"?    Is it not appearing in the "map TO" drop down?

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2014

Hi Nic, 

Thanks for your replay - pls see below the details

1) I go to Issues->Import from CSV File

2) Choose a file and click Next

3) I choose the project and click Next

4) on the Map Field Windows : I would like to map the issue type however I cannot see it in the drop down list

Thanks

Naama

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014

It should appear (almost) at the top of the list. Can you check that you have more than one issue type in the project, and that the column you are trying to map is complete - no blank lines in it at all

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2014

Hi Nic, I have more than one issue type in the project, When i am running the same wizard from the administration panel , I can see the issue type - However I would like this option to be available to the users as well... Can you please advise? Thanks Naama

Like ClementHue likes this
Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2014

Hi Nic, When I am trying to import through the administration panel I get the following error: Error importing issue ExternalIssue{externalId=autoid-8547538591012086323, summary=RUM Engine setup & configuration, issueType=10102} However I cannot see the problem in my CSV file... Thanks Naama

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2014

Aah, I see, it's not the full importer. No, you can't do issue type in there, it's fixed

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2014

You'll need to read the log for more detail on that error, it's not enough to diagnose where the problem is.

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2014

Hi Nic, Sorry I didn't understand you answer... Users cannot import issues? and map the issue types?

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2014

Thanks Naama

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 18, 2014

Hi Nic, Can you please let me know - Users cannot import issues from csv and map it to issue types? Thanks Naama

S February 19, 2015

I have the same question,,,the tool is relatively useless if users can't map issue type in the importer version found in issues tab. Also noticed they cannot import comments and reporter. There could be more...

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2015

Helllo sumtotal - I logged a support case and the problem was configuration of my default create issue screen... (witch I am not using...) Cheers Naama

Like Madalina Mutihac likes this
Wei Qiao June 4, 2015

Hi, Can you import the issue type now? I am having the same problem here. Thanks!

Naama Lev
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2015

Hi Wei , It was a configuration of one of my customize screen that prevented the import, it didn't has - 'issue type' on the 'create issue type screen' Cheers Naama

Like # people like this
manu ravindra December 10, 2017

Hi Naama,

Could you please let me know how you resolved this issue in steps, so that even we could implement the same.

Cheers.

Andrew.Moussi December 11, 2018

No comment

Vibhorkumar Tripathi December 27, 2018

Any update on this issue?  I am also facing same issue?

jachiev September 18, 2019

All the fields you want to be available at Import CSV Wizard mapping feature should be also available at the "Create Issue" Screen scheme you have configured as naama lev said

Like # people like this
Tal Cohen January 9, 2020

Thanks!

16 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2016

It seems that there are two kinds of CSV import:

a) Issues -> Import issues from CSV.

This is "not the full importer" (Nic Brough) but a kinda crippled variant where you cannot set issue type.

The documentation includes issue type, which might be a mistake in the documentation and contribute to user confusion.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-issues-using-the-csv-importer-764478441.html 

b) Administration > System > Import & Export > External System Import > Import

This is the full importer where you can set issue type, and is explained here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/importing-data-from-csv-802592885.html

Ryan Combs September 28, 2018

Thank you so much! I was able to have more control using the admin import.

Like # people like this
ShashankPincha July 17, 2020

What a life saver!

8 votes
Marek Dziedzic November 29, 2018

After spending a day trying to figure this out, here is the solution.

First, confirm that this functionality exists on your instance:

1. go to JIRA Settings > System > External System Import.
  2. Attempt to upload a file and confirm if you have access to Issue Type.

If you do, this means that your JIRA instance supports the ability to map issue type for a CSV import, but that your edit screen is not configured. If you do not see this setting, unfortunately I do not have a solution.

In the case that you did see the Issue Type in the External System Import tool, you can modify your edit screens to allow all users to add Issue Type during an import. To do this:

1. Navigate to Project Settings > Screens.
  2. Click on Action in the top right corner and select Edit Screens
  3. Next to Default, click on the Screen Scheme link
  4. Next to Default (again), click on the Screen link
  5. Under the Field Tab, scroll to the bottom of the screen and add Issue Type from the Select Field... drop down.

You should now be able to select issue Type from the standard issue importer when adding tickets as a normal user.

endikaesteban January 29, 2020

Good night Marek Dziedzic 

I am trying import comment fields from a CSV file and its imposible for me...In fact I cant find "comment field" here, in order to import it to the importer wizard.

AddFieldsToImportWizard.png

endikaesteban January 29, 2020

And thx anyway!

Finally I have solved the problema thanks to Sufian Rashid

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/CSV-import-comments-author-date/qaq-p/38914

Kevin Delord March 31, 2020

This is the best answer and the most straight forward solution.

Thanks!!

6 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2019

The regular non-admin CSV importer will only let you pick fields you have available in your Create Screen.

It's not unusual for admins to leave out Issue Type from the Create Screen since you're forced to specify one.

Make sure you add Issue Type to you Create Screen, even though it seems superfluous.

Hal West June 27, 2019

Awesome answer, David.  This was the issue, that the Issue Type field wasn't on the create screens, so it could not be mapped in the non-Admin importer.   Wish others in this thread had reported this fact.   All the best.

leonardo_moreno82 September 18, 2019

Thanks David, Awesome!!

Federico Amaya January 21, 2021

This should be the accepted answer for the issue. Thanks David!

1 vote
Gianni Pucciani October 17, 2016

The issue key mapping is currently not available via Issues->Import issues from CSV, please vote for this feature request: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-62865

0 votes
Trilok November 11, 2019

I had the same problem, Issue type field was not part of the create issue screen. 

I have admin access so I was able to add the Issue type field to the create issue screen and now the field is available for mapping. 

It can also be done by the following method.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/fields-unavailable-for-mapping-when-importing-csv-to-jira-server-720420577.html

Suggest an answer