When Service Desk issue is assigned back to the Reporter, the Reporter does not receive a Jira Notification Email

Kelly Maloy April 24, 2015

Context:  Only seems to happen for issues originating from our Service Desk Customer Portal (not when created directly in JIRA).

Problem:  I created an issue through our Service Desk Customer Portal.  I am the Reporter.  It initially gets assigned to our support analyst, but that user then assigned the issue to me after asking a question.  I did not receive an email notification that the issue had been assigned to me. To be clear, we are using the "Assign" button to assign issues.  I received 1 notification that he had commented on my issue.  But no additional email arrived when he later Assigned it to me.

Supporting Information:

1. The Assign Event is set up correctly in my Notification Scheme for Reporter, Assignee and Watchers

NotificationSchemeSettings.png

2. The Notification Helper is telling me I should be receiving an email for the assignment that is happening.

JiraNotificationHelper.png

3. I am not trying to assign this to myself, another agent is assigning my issue back to me.  I have tried changing my user settings to "Notify Me" of Changes, but that did not help either.

JiraNotifyMeSettings.png

4.  My mail queue is clear, so that particular notification is not getting stuck on the way out.  They just aren't being generated.

5. My email program is working fine, nothing is going into junk.  I get all the other JIRA notifications, including assignment notifications (just not in this particular case).

6.  Again, this seems specific to issues created through the Service Desk Portal.  If I create an issue in this project while logged into JIRA, then have my analyst go in and assign it to me, I get the email notification as expected.  I could not find anything in the Service Desk settings that would seem to prevent the email from going out in this case (Reporter=Assignee)

5 answers

0 votes
Austin Boyd [Equip] November 12, 2015

JIRA Service Desk suppresses the Project Notification Scheme for the Reporter. So if an SDA creates an issue through the Customer Portal, the SDA would be the Reporter. Then if the issue were to be assigned to the same SDA, the email notifications from the Notification Scheme will not be sent.

Only notifications that are set by the SD scheme will be sent to the Reporter when entered through the Portal. I'm not sure what version of SD you are on, so I can't really speak to the scheme used by SD. 

0 votes
Philip Navarro June 22, 2015

Hello,

I just wanted to add that I am also experiencing the exact same issue. Has a resolution been provided for this?

0 votes
Juan Peraza April 24, 2015

I paid more attention to your point #6, and noticed that you get the expected notification when the Customer Portal is not used. My expectations match yours. I expect that you would get the assign notification. Perhaps it's a JIRA Service Desk bug,

0 votes
Kelly Maloy April 24, 2015

I am a licensed Service Desk Agent. And yes, typically the Comment back & forth works fine. We have some conventions between me and the other 2 SDA's, where we assign the issues to each other when we are triaging and deciding what to do with them. We never assign customer generated issues back to customers. It just happens this was an issue I put in myself (not super common) and I noticed I didn't get the usual email notification. I just thought it was strange, and if it were a bug in Jira, I wanted to make sure to report it. And if it was something I was doing wrong, I wanted to correct it. So are you suggesting perhaps that this notification is intentionally not being sent because Reporter=Assignee; that this may be as designed?

0 votes
Juan Peraza April 24, 2015

Hmm? Are you a licensed service desk agent? If not, then I don't think a service desk issue can be assigned to you. Also, the way JIRA Service Desk works out of the box, an agent does not have to manually assign an issue to a customer. Simply Responding to the customer via a comment puts the issue in the Customer's hand to take the next action (the Waiting for customer state). Is an actual assignment to the customer necessary? Is simply the Waiting for Customer state sufficient to indicate who's court the ticket is now in?

Suggest an answer