When I update a issue on jira, I get UTF-8 error code in the received notification email

Huali Yang August 27, 2012

#1:An error was encountered upon synchronizing Issue: WORK-111.

Below are the errors:

Error updating remote object, caused by. Error status 406:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <errors>

<error>Priority cannot be reset</error> </errors>

These errors are also logged in the Diagnostics section in the Administration Console.

#2:An error was encountered upon synchronizing Issue: WORK-335.

Below are the errors:

Error updating remote object, caused by. Error status 406:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <errors>

These errors are also logged in the Diagnostics section in the Administration Console.

#3:An error was encountered upon synchronizing Issue: WORK-347.

Below are the errors:

3 answers

0 votes
Heath Wolfeld March 12, 2013

I was getting the same error and Penny's guess was the root cause of my problem.

1) The ticket was shared with Jira without a priority

2) A priority was entered in Zendesk

3) The Jira ticket (without a priority) was edited

4) The sync tried to update (including a priority of null), which triggered the error.

Entering a priority on the Jira ticket resolved the issue.

0 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2012

These emails aren't generated by core JIRA. As they mention synchronising and a Diagnostics section in the Administration Console... are you using the Customware Cloud Connectors by any chance?

If so, I'd hazard a guess that you or another admin on your system has set up a workflow post-function to synchronise changes made in JIRA with a remote system (such a ZenDesk or SalesForce), and that post-function is failing.

If so, it also sounds like the cause is that the remote system, whichever it is, doesn't allow the Priority field to be changed (or whatever "reset" means) - or, at least, not by the user it's running as.

Without knowing what the remote system is, I wouldn't try to guess why it's not working, but removing the mapping from a JIRA field to the Priority field in the remote system ( via /plugins/servlet/customware/connector/mapping.action ) may work.

Huali Yang August 28, 2012

Yes, you are clever, I synced comments and priority from zendesk to jira, that doesn't work?

Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2012

Since the error message says "Error updating remote object", and this is happening when you make changes on the JIRA side, that implies to me that it's failing to push the new priority value from JIRA to Zendesk.

Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with Zendesk, but I see on their website ( https://support.zendesk.com/entries/4654-inborn-ticket-rules ) that there's a rule stating that, "Once you set a priority, you cannot reset it back to no priority. You can always change it to a different priority". So I wonder if this is the Zendesk business rule that we're falling afoul of here.

If so, (and I'm getting into the realms of speculation here) and assuming you're not setting a blank priority in JIRA, the problem could be the mapping of the priority values between the two systems. If we're sending a value for priority that Zendesk doesn't know, it might treat that as a missing priority value and generate the error message you're getting.

So, I'd recommend having a look at the values of priority you have defined in JIRA (Major, Minor, Blocker, etc) and the values of priority you have in Zendesk (Low, Normal, Urgent, etc, according to http://www.zendesk.com/support/api/tickets ). On the mapping screen for this connection where you set up the Priority mapping, check out the Map Values links. Ensure that there are outbound mappings for all JIRA priority values to Zendesk priority values, and vice versa for inbound.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 27, 2012

What are you trying to "synchronise"? There's no information here.

The error does lead me to think that whatever process you are trying here, it doesn't have the permission to change the priority on the issues, but it's hard to know

Could you explain what you are doing that throws this error up?

Suggest an answer