When I setup G Suite SAML SSO for JIRA Service Desk, what type of users are created?

Lynn Shriver November 1, 2017

When I setup G Suite SAML SSO for JIRA Service Desk, what type of users are created?

My preference would be to have users added into JIRA Service Desk as portal only users in JIRA, but I'm not finding anything that specifies this.

I'm new to this product, so if additional information is needed, please let me know.

Thank you.

Lynn

2 answers

0 votes
Lynn Shriver November 2, 2017

Thank you.  I will be making this change later today.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2017

You're welcome Lynn.

If you have any doubts or questions at all please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2017

Hi Lynn,

That depends on what groups and access you have selected by default for G Suite Integration. 

See Enable or disable G Suite Integration.

How to set default application access

After you enable G Suite, you can set up which applications new Google users have access to, and which groups they're placed in when the users are initially created. See Manage application access for full details.

Let us know if you have any questions about this.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Lynn Shriver November 2, 2017

Still very new to this product, so I may be using incorrect terminology.  I asked what type of "users" would be created, but I may have needed to say "customers".

I don't want users, that are sync'd, to be added to my licensing.  They should only be able to submit service requests using the portal.

Below is what I find for my current test user, who is a portal only user for a specific project. (User Management - JIRA Service Desk - Portal Only Customers)

Portal Only Customers.pngI created a group under User Management named Portal Only Users, but my suspicion is that when I sync my G Suite accounts, they are going to populate this newly created group and will become paid accounts?

My goal is to have all my G Suite accounts as JIRA Service Desk Portal Only Customers, with SSO.

If the solution provided will accomplish this goal, please let me know.  I don't want to have an invite be automatically generated to my G Suite accounts during this process, if they aren't going to have the correct access.

Please let me know, if you need anything additional or if I'm not understanding the product.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2017

Hi Lynn,

Understood! It's the same process. You want to follow the link that I sent you to Application Access and you need to make sure that by default the applications are unchecked, or else it will automatically give your users a license.

You will also want to make sure your Portal Only Users group is not set to have access to those applications by default because it will also take up a license.

Lastly, in the Service Desk Project, you can allow anyone with an account to access the portal and send requests, so this would include any of these Google users that were added without licenses. See Set up customer permissions:

Who can send requests?

Each project has two options for who can send requests to the service desk. By default, only customers your team adds to the project can send requests. The second option is less restrictive, and changes depending on how your Jira admin sets the global customer

Suggest an answer